So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a back to back weekend for me.. Moosedrool clone and a NB Cream ale. Had a poker game last night and they emptied two of my kegs.. need another brew though. Thinking an IPA or Oatmeal Stout. Can't decide.

I'm itching to brew, but I'm not sure if my hops will make it in time. It still might not stop me. I have a kegerator pipeline to keep full! :ban:

Ready to go for Saturday. Trying out my second step in creating a house pale ale recipe. Going to play with Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo. Might need to order more kegs to keep all of my experiments in.

Put Celebration Ale clone into secondary with gelatin for fining.

Started 6 Gallons of Amarone going

Brewed up a batch of Barley wine.

Convinced the LOML that this is a worthy pastime for both of us. Secret brew a batch of what she likes.

Put Celebration Ale clone into secondary with gelatin for fining.

Started 6 Gallons of Amarone going

Brewed up a batch of Barley wine.

Convinced the LOML that this is a worthy pastime for both of us. Secret brew a batch of what she likes.

I started 10 gallon batches so I can get enough of a pipeline going that I can brew some IPAs for myself. Although it's no hardship drinking the beers SWMBO likes. :mug:

I'm gonna grab a random extract kit from a LHBS and make something tonight before I go out. Gotta love finding left over money in winter jackets. Maybe a cream ale?

Me me me!

Two batches. Recipies below.

Brewing 1/3 - Sierra Nevada Early Spring Beer clone -

Partial Mash recipie

6 lbs Pale LME

2 Lbs Maris Otter Pale base malt
1 Lb Crystal 40L
- Above 2 ingredients mashed together at 155 degrees for 30 minutes in 2 gallons of water, batch sparged with 1 gallon at 155 degrees, all runnings collected and diluted with an additional 3.5 gallons resulting in final boil amount of just over 6 gallons. With boiloff, should produce the standard 5 gallon finished product.

1 oz Challenger pellets @ 60 minutes
1 oz Challenger pellets @ 20 minutes
1 tbspn irish moss @ 15 min
1 oz EK Goldings pellets @ 5 minutes
1 oz us Crystal pellets @ dry hop

1 11.5 g pack Safeale US-05 dry yest, rehydrated, no starter

Brewing 1/3 - Golden Fizzy Beer (American blonde ale)

This is a 2 gallon experiement to see how clear I can get a single stage beer using only irish moss and limited ingredients. I've been having some chill haze issues and I want to cut down on the variables to find the source. Its purely asthetic, not affecting the final quality or flavor of my beer, but its annoying me.

2.5 lbs Extra light DME
8 oz Carapils (steeped, 30 minutes)

.125 oz Centennial pellets @ 45 min
.125 oz Centennial pellets @ 20 min
.125 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.125 oz Cascade @ 10 min

1/2 tbspn irish moss at 15 min

1 pack of Danstar Nottingham dry yeast, rehydrated

Took the day off of work to brew a Blueberry version of Brewer Bill's Summer Fruit Beer (from mdhb.com). Happy 2K10 from Japan, people!

I'm thinking I may try my first AG this weekend.

Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale - All Grain.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

Currently skipping work and brewing a batch of Irish red! I'm getting to use my shiny orange MLT for the first time, so it's a good way to end 2009.

As an experiment in silliness, I'm brewing a 1-gal batch of something I can only call "Hard Kool-Ade".

3.5 cups sugar
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg yeast
water to make 1 gal
2 pkgs Kool-Ade, any flavor

seconded on grossness factor....

Suggestion: Give the kids plain ol Kool-Aid.

Go get some BMC. Same price and not so nasty as that sounds. Close... but not so nasty.

SWMBO is asking for a Kreik beer. I am taking her to the LHBS with me tomorrow to pick up the supplies and she is going to be the head brewer.

SWMBO is asking for a Kreik beer. I am taking her to the LHBS with me tomorrow to pick up the supplies and she is going to be the head brewer.

I envy you on that one!

If my SWMBO was that far into brewing....My wort would boil over...propane would run out.... house would catch on fire.... cause I would be....let us say.....distracted!

Be careful!:ban:

I'll be brewing my first all grain beer today. I went with AHS's Pale Rye Ale. I can't wait to get started. I'll be using my new 10 gallon megapot today (with ballvalve and brewmometer), my new bayou classic burner, and of course my new mash tun. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.

I will not be brewing...but bottling. Im excited though...my barleywine has been in secondary for about 9 weeks now and im gna call it good. (It wasnt a huge american bw so i think it been long enough) Cant wait to try it! Also its time to move the Kolsch to the basement for a little cold conditioning...excited to try that one too but its gna be awhile...

Currently skipping work and brewing a batch of Irish red! I'm getting to use my shiny orange MLT for the first time, so it's a good way to end 2009.

Skipping work to brew is always a good thing in my book.

Tomorrow I'll be brewing a version of "Black Widow Porter", if I can keep my burner lit.

Tonight -25F.

Tomorrow forcast
Sunny. Highs 3 below to 2 above zero. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill values 35 below to 45 below zero.

After a couple of months of heavy business travel, I'm glad to be able to brew this weekend. On deck: An O'dell's 90 Shilling clone beer.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 90 Shillingish
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Scottish Heavy Ale (70/-)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 7.00 gal      
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 12.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        74.58 %       
1 lbs 4.4 oz  Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        9.04 %        
15.3 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        6.78 %        
11.5 oz       Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        5.08 %        
7.6 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        3.39 %        
2.5 oz        Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)                Grain        1.13 %        
2.60 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (20 min) (First Wort HopHops         24.1 IBU      
1.27 gm       Chalk (Mash 60.0 min)                     Misc                       
5.09 gm       Canning Salt (Mash 5.0 min)               Misc                       
10.18 gal     Denver, Colorado                          Water                      
1 Pkgs        Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)           Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.08 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 28.16 qt of water at 161.5 F    154.0 F       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Ill be tackling the Blood Orange Hefeweizen recipe from Sam Calagione's book extreme brewing. There is something about a beer that is actually pumpkin orange in colour that speaks to me.

Just finished an Amber Ale for my dad. He came over with my brother. This was my brew #100. A great day.

I think Ill be tackling the Blood Orange Hefeweizen recipe from Sam Calagione's book extreme brewing. There is something about a beer that is actually pumpkin orange in colour that speaks to me.

I brewed that recipe, substituting navel oranges for the blood oranges since they weren't in season. It turned out to be my favorite beer so far.

I brewed up an IPA today that turned into a big PITA... Only my second time brewing with my new heatstick.... I brewed with it on Thursday for the first time and my boil-off rate went through the roof, so I ended up about a 1/2 gallon under my 5 gallon target. Today I had a 90 minute boil, so my preboil volume was 8 gallons, and I only have an 8 gallon kettle, so I had to split it into two kettles. I put 2/3 into the my 8 gallon kettle w/ the heat-stick, and the other 1/3 into my 5 gallon kettle, both of them covering 2 burners on my gas stove. I combined them with 15 minutes to go in the boil and knew I was in big trouble. I ended up with 5 gallons before cooling, so between the two kettles I had a boil-off rate of 25%. I was able to finagle 4.25 gallons out but it was a serious PITA, considering I had over 3 ounces of whole leaf hops in there and another 3 ounces of pellets. OG ended up a little high, as expected with the lower volume, came in at 1.085

Back