Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Going to probably brew this tonight. Made a two step, 1.5 liter (3 liters total) starter using wyeast 1056 smack pack. Wondering if anyone has experience with this kit? I think I read its similar to Stone Arrogant Bastard? That would be great!

This will be my biggest beer yet, 1.081-5 starting. Will definitely use a blow off tube, should be messy. One thing I noticed is no dry hopping. I'd like to do that to add aroma before bottling. Looking for recommendations on the type of hops for dry hopping, assuming I will just dry hop in primary from week 3-4 then cold crash and bottle.

I've only dry hopped with pellets, should I try dry hopping with fresh hops?

What type of hops are in that? Buy more and add 3-4 oz. for dry hops to get some really good aroma.
Good idea with the yeast starter. You should be good with that.

Their "Imperial" kits make some really good beer. Don't rush them. I'm drinking an Imperial Nut Brown that has been in the cellar since April and it is fantastic.

bosco

bd2xu said:
Cool, so in the primary for a month then bottles for a couple?

Primary for a month, dry hop 7 -10 days, then bottle until it is carbed. You want a IIPA fresh. Try it after 3 weeks. I'll probably try mine after a week just to try it.

Well i messed this batch up last night. I think it will still be good but...

Was doing a full wort boil and didn't take into consideration the fact that this recipe has so much malt, 6.6 pounds of liquid and 3 pounds of dry. I filled my brew pot to 6 gallons like i've done in the past to end with about 5.25 - 5.5 at the end of the boil, but wit all this malt my wort was way over 6 gallons. I ended up with close to 6 gallons at the end and my OG was 1.070 vs where it was supposed to be, 1.081-5. So this will still be fine right, just not as big of a beer and about 1+% less ABV? (1.070-1.018)*131.25=6.8% instead of (1.081-1.018)*131.25=8.3%. I pitched PLENTY of yeast from 2, 1.5 liter starters which began with a smack pack (1056 american ale).

Could I have extended the boil to reduce the wort and get the OG to right level? Not sure how much more hops bittering that would have produced and any other effects? Maybe I should have gone with a 90 minute boil once I realized I had too much water.

I don't think it will be anything but a really good beer. A little lighter and a little lower in the ABV, but I think those "Imperial" kits have enough to still make decent ale even if diluted a bit.

OMO

bosco

If it finishes lower gravity, like mine (1.015) you'll be about 7.2%, anything around 7 is a good beer and only a few is all you need. :)

Back