Newbie with a Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jritchie111

Reaction score
I am on my fifth batch and brewed BB Imperial Pale Ale extract kit on 1/7/12. It started off great and was bubbling like crazy for the first week plus. I had planned to wait three weeks before I transferred to keg. It had slowed down but still bubbling every minute as of yesterday. This evening I checked and waited 6 minutes without a bubble through the airlock. My question is could fermentation just come to stop that quick or could something else had happen. I did move my pail yesterday to a warmer area of my home due to my furnance going out. However, the air temp has always been in the 66 to 68 degree area. Thanks for the help.

A week of bubbling is good. I just brewed mt 5th batch and it was a all grain stout and it only bubbled for one day and everyone on here says its good and to never trust the airlock. I think and I'm not no pro but I think ur in the clear for some nice pale ale.

Gravity readings is the only way to be sure how your fermentation is progressing. I always go 3 weeks then check the gravity then bottle.

If fermenting an ale, it is good to keep an eye on what the top looks like. I wait until the yeast has dropped off the surface because then you know the yeast has cleaned up and consumed all fermentables and left-overs. You will have a cleaner tasting beer and you let the yeast drop out.

but for real. if you dont have bubbling in ur airlock, especially at a lower temp. the CO2 might not be released in a noticably bubbling fashion, bc at lower temps gases condense like any air. think of a cold air intake in a car. creates more HP b/c there is more O2 crammed in a smaller space. bc everything is more condensed.

someone correct me if my logic is wrong related to gases and temp

A bubbling airlock is not a sign of fermentation. I brewed a batch of American Black Ale on the 8th of Jan. It is in a bucket in my winter fermenter and although bubbles occasionally I am not going to touch it until the 28th, then I will take a hydro reading and dry hop it.
Air lock activity or the lack there of does not indicate fermentation. The only way to gauge fermentation is the hydrometer. I suggest you let it sit untouched for 21 days, then test. After the most active fermentation period the yeast will clean up the last of the more complex sugars and by products of fermentation. Let it rest!
66 to 68 is about perfect for ales or at least most ale yeast... I like to ferment at 64 ambient air temp as the fermentation process generates heat.
mmmm just finished a glass of oatmeal stout... good stuff, rich and malty with a creamy feel, nice nutty and dark coffee finish. Nice beer!

Dok, I brewed a dubbel with Ommegang yeast and the krausen never dropped after a 3 week primary despite steady gravities after day 7. Gravity readings, and only gravity readings, tell you whether you are done yet.

Thanks everyone. I will let it sit until the 28 and then check it. With my other batches I have had bubbling in my airlock until I kegged the beer. Three of them I did at two weeks and one at three weeks. I have always hit my FG up to this point. Thanks again for the insite.

I did not say NOT to take a gravity reading. I just made the point that it is a good indicator of where you are in fermentation.

Latest posts

Back