Coopers cerveza adaptation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goddard69

Reaction score
I've never made this kit before, or indeed any lager. However this is my 9th brew (previously I have brewed English ales) and I feel more confident in experimentation. After trawling through this forum I've concocted a recipe which I plan to brew this weekend:

Can of coopers cerveza extract
150g extra light spray malt
850g brewing sugar
Saflager s23

Im also going to short brew by a couple of litres to add a little strength (as I understand the spray malt will reduce alcohol content slightly, correct me if I'm wrong!) And obviously I will be fermenting at around 11oC (52F) followed by diatecyl rest then racking into bottles and lager at around 2oC (35F).

What do you reckon people? I'm open to suggestions on my ingredients/method!

Let me know how it turns out, I'm planning to do this in a few weeks for my 4th (ever) batch partly in the hopes of creating more enthusiasm for my home brewing projects with my wife. Since I don't really like Corona-style beers I thought of adding a bit more body/flavor and was going to try the following recipe:

1 can Coopers Mexican Cerveza Beer Kit (added after boil)
1 kg Coopers Enhancer 2 (which I understand is 500g dextrose, 250g LME, 250g maltodextrin)
14g / 0.5 oz Cascade Hops (boil 10 minutes in above)
Kit Yeast

20L at 18-20C for about 2 weeks (primary only) - I can't get lower temps with my current setup

Got my fridge set up in my garage, with temp controller and brewed yesterday. It started fermenting within about 8 hours! I'll let you know what the finish product is like!!!

Based on my experience I would use 150g spray malt and 500g sugar made to 20 liters. I know this will give me a nice adjunct lager in the 4-4.5% ABV range. I'll ferment at 50 for 2 weeks and lager at 34 for 2 weeks in the same vessel. I don't do my authentic German lagers this way but this is not the case.

I like my lagers around the 5-5.5% mark so hopefully this will work for me! Will post a review when it's finished....

Just a quick update. Lager is going very well! I bottled it yesterday after leaving in secondary for nearly 6 weeks!! (been very busy and completely lost track of time!!). As it turns out it was a good thing, the clarity is superb and it will only get better in the bottle. Had a sneaky taste and aside from being flat it was beautiful!! I reckon after a 2 or 3 weeks in the bottles it will be my best batch yet!!

drinking a bottle of this beer as we speak, and have been now for about a month . It just keeps getting better! Its crystal clear with a nice pale oaky colour and leaves a slightly fruity aftertaste. My only criticism is that it is a bit sweet which I think may be something to do with the coopers carb drops I used, as I only racked into 330ml bottles. But i'm hoping this will subside with age....none the less this is a cracking beer and will definitely be venturing further into the world of lager brewing!! :ban:

Back