I want to brew a lager, any suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So I've got about a dozen ale's under my belt and they all have been great. My poker friends say they keep getting better and better. My california common has been one of their favorites. With that comment and the fact that I love lager's I would like to try to brew my own lager.

Don't worry I am not doing an American light BMC lager, although you do have to appreciate the work that they do to brew millions of gallons of beer consistently. I am hoping for a few recommendations for which kit to buy. I have had good to great results with Midwest, Austin, and Northern Homebrewers.

I figure that I would go with a kit for my first lager as they have treated me well so far. I enjoy a nice Yuengling, Sam Adams, or an Oktoberfest/Marzen. A Marzen may be nice in that I can brew it around now and then have it ready around the March time frame. Any suggestions on some kits out there would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you're not into timing, a Marzen (also known as Oktoberfest) would be great. I also love maibocks, and that would be ready in time for spring.

There are so many lagers to brew, though- everything from a doppelbock to a pilsner! I guess it depends on what you'd like to have to drink- a malty rich dark lager, or a lighter more session worthy lager.

Latest posts

Back