Gravity not dropping, do I care?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rslashuser

Reaction score
I moved a stout to secondary after 2 weeks. The OG was 1.062, now it's at 1.028. I pitched WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast and was expecting a lower gravity. Should I be concerned? Add more yeast? Or just relax and let it sit for a few weeks and see if it drops in the secondary?

Did you verify the final gravity BEFORE moving to secondary? If not then you moved the beer off the yeast too soon and wound up with a stuck fermentation, FG should wind up around 1.015 or so. It may drop some more, it may not and you might have to pitch some new yeast. Never move a beer off the yeast before you have verified it has gotten to Final Gravity.

rslashuser said:
I moved a stout to secondary after 2 weeks. The OG was 1.062, now it's at 1.028. I pitched WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast and was expecting a lower gravity. Should I be concerned? Add more yeast? Or just relax and let it sit for a few weeks and see if it drops in the secondary?

How does it taste - that's the big question. It may end up being way too sweet or have too much body to enjoy. If the secondary doesn't move it along in a few days, I'd make another starter and pitch into the stout once it gets going.

That is too high. You should check your gravity before you take it off the yeast. Check it again in a few days to see if it lowers at all. If not you may need to re- pitch. I usually skip secondary and just leave it in primary for about a month. Leaving it on the yeast longer gives it more time to ferment and for the yeast to clean up after themselves. I only transfer to secondary to dry hop or as a clearing vessel and then only after 3 to 4 weeks on the yeast.
If you want to post your recipe and process we
May be able to help you determine what went wrong. Did you make a starter? All grain or extract? Mash temps. Fermentation temps etc.

brewguyver said:
How does it taste - that's the big question. It may end up being way too sweet or have too much body to enjoy. If the secondary doesn't move it along in a few days, I'd make another starter and pitch into the stout once it gets going.

I respectfully disagree about taste. Let the hydrometer be your guide. It is the only way you know what is going on in the fermenter.

phuff7129 said:
I respectfully disagree about taste. Let the hydrometer be your guide. It is the only way you know what is going on in the fermenter.

You are correct about using the hydrometer but ultimately the taste does have something to do with this. If it does not move any lower and the OP does not attempt to re-pitch to try and get it lower he will definitely have a much sweeter beer than expected.

Did you verify the final gravity BEFORE moving to secondary? If not then you moved the beer off the yeast too soon and wound up with a stuck fermentation, FG should wind up around 1.015 or so. It may drop some more, it may not and you might have to pitch some new yeast. Never move a beer off the yeast before you have verified it has gotten to Final Gravity.

Preachin' to the choir, brother.

phuff7129 said:

I'll admit, that was a bit of an over-friendly response. That said, I know people who add a little coffee to their morning sugar and prefer under-attenuated beer (1.03x non withstanding).

Preachin' to the choir, brother.

It amazes me how many times we all discuss verifying final gravity before doing anything but yet people do it and then can't figure out why their beer didn't finish-Doh!

Think of all the yeast that could be saved from re-pitching if patience was a greater practice:drunk:

brewguyver said:
I'll admit, that was a bit of an over-friendly response. That said, I know people who add a little coffee to their morning sugar and prefer under-attenuated beer (1.03x non withstanding).

At 2 weeks taste means nothing especially if the beer is under attenuated. If I based the quality of my brews by how they taste at 2 weeks I would dump every one of them. I don't think the OP wants an under attenuated beer, hence my earlier advice.

It amazes me how many times we all discuss verifying final gravity before doing anything but yet people do it and then can't figure out why their beer didn't finish-Doh!

Think of all the yeast that could be saved from re-pitching if patience was a greater practice:drunk:

SO MUCH YEAST! And so much time saved in 1) worrying, 2) us typing things like "did you take a gravity reading?", 3) talking about the same thing over and over again.

Can we make a sticky? With flashing lights all over it? Please?

Back