Tropical Storm Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Original recipe of mine inspired by SD Slim's lemon lime hef. Meant to be a nice summer beer for the Florida Keys. Good to bring out on the boat fishing, to the sandbar, relaxing pool side while grilling, you get my point. The name came from the obvious nature of the weather during Hurricane Season, though being that its not a big beer it cant have the full on title of a hurricane. That along with the hop flavor, viola, tropical storm.

Tropical Storm Blonde Ale

Batch size 6 Gal
OG - 1.042
FG - 1.008
IBU - 20.6
SRM - 3.7
ABV - 4.4%
Yeast - US 05

*GRAIN BILL*.......single infusion, mashed at 153-155 for 60 mins

9# 2 Row 92.31%
.5 # Carapils 5.13%
.25# Honey Malt 2.56%

*BOIL*

.5 oz Motueka @ 60 min
1 oz Citra @ 5 min
.5 oz Motueka @ 5min
.5 oz Motueka @ 5 flameout

Ferment @ 65f
Prime with 4-4.25 oz table sugar

Brewed this up this past monday, actually mashed at about 153-155. The color game out spot on and aroma from the motueka and citra is incredible. Im very excited to drink this. I have a good feeling about serving this one at Brewfest!!!

Tropical Storm Blonde.jpg

Tropical Storm Blonde Ale.jpg

Thanks!! I forgot to note I made a small change to the boil schedule, im editing the OP now. The schedule I went with was .5 oz Motueka @ 60 , .5 oz Motueka @ 5, 1 oz Citra @ 5, and .5 oz Motueka @ flameout. The projected IBU and bitterness ratio is still the same. I'll be updating with pics and tasting notes very soon.

Really comes out as more of a light pale ale than a blonde. It wasn't a bad drinking beer but I wasnt too crazy about it and haven't brewed it since. The hop additions definitely need to be adjusted to bring it more to style from a taste standpoint.

Back