cherry tree seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
Hey was not sure where to post this but I am looking to start growing a cherry tree or two and didnt know where to get the seeds. I was looking for tart cherries specifically. Also if anyone knows of any good books about gardening I got some learning to do.

You are much better off buying trees from a nursery. Growing cherry trees from seeds is a little like trying to grow hops from seeds, you'll never know what you'll get. On the plus side, tart/sour cherries, are self-fruitful and don't need a cross-pollinator like sweet cherries.

I've been trying to grow sweet cherries, but my area is marginal on winter cold and summer heat. I plan on buying a couple sour cherry trees in the Spring.

I've always liked Sunset's books.

That is a good idea, and I think I will in the spring but I would still like to attempt it. I have plenty of time on my hands the next 10 days or so and this has always interested me.

Back