Another Noob Question- What Brews are Easiest for Beginners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got another noob question here. What brews are the most forgiving, aka, which ones are the hardest to mess up? Are there some recipes that will tolerate a new brewer’s mistakes, and some that need stricter control? For my first batch I was thinking that I would try an American Pale Ale. But then I was thinking that Octobeer is coming up, and what better way to celebrate than by brewing up a batch of Octoberfest. I know that I should make what I like, but can anyone recommend a few styles that are better for beginners.

I think octoberfest is tradionally a lager. You might be able to find a suitable ale yeast. If you choose a lager you need adequete conditions to keep it cold. Basically any extract kit you buy will be pretty straight forward. Just read the directions that come with it.

Darker and heavier beers are more forgiving because the added flavor and body will help mask any issues. The hardest beer to make in my opinion would be a bud light clone. Very light and low body, any problems will shout out.
Octoberfest is a lager, but you can make an octoberfast with a light ale yeast like WLP001, and it could be ready for Halloween.

For my money, an ordinary bitter. It is very simple, and the fermenting and conditioning temperatures are easy to control without special equipment. Also, the shorter fermenting and aging times help with the impatience factor for the first time brewer. However, it would not fit into an Oktoberfest celebration too well.

My very first brew was a sweet stout, I messed up plenty but it's still probably the best tasting brew I've done to date. I also just bottled an ordinary bitter that tasted great straight out of the fermenter and that was an easy brew as well, can't wait until it's ready.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby. :mug:

Darker and heavier beers are more forgiving because the added flavor and body will help mask any issues. The hardest beer to make in my opinion would be a bud light clone. Very light and low body, any problems will shout out.
Octoberfest is a lager, but you can make an octoberfast with a light ale yeast like WLP001, and it could be ready for Halloween.

+1

Porter is a pretty forgiving beer to make.

Latest posts

Back