Drill pump for wort transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
Anybody knows if these cheap drill powered pump can be used for wort transfers?

Amazon.com: Simer/Flotec/Omni CM10 Drill Pump: Home Improvement

I can't find any spec in regards to the maximum liquid temperature or food grade compliance.

I might not transfer boiling wort with it, but it would be nice if I could transfer wort to boil kettle or even recirculate the mash.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at one of those for chilling wort with an immersion chiller and ice water. I was reading the outside instructions and it said something about lubrication with a light grease. I figure that was on the inside and it did have a temp rage limitation although I don't remember what it was. I was just going to pump ice water through it so I wasn't too woried about the grease thing or the temp thing. I would lean towards negative for contact with my beer. Hope I helped a little.

Anything that contacts the wort should be food grade and easily cleaned. Also hot side airration may be an issue with a less exspensive pump.
Chardo

My experience with the drill pumps has never been very positive. The two times I've tried to use them, they wound up disintegrating a short way into the job...Once just plain water, and the other time, pumping gear-lube.

These are not food grade and they are not megnetic impellers, which means you will have lubrication in contact with HOT wort.

There is a reason people buy the $130 pump, they are made for the job at hand.

Honestly that is the answer I was expecting.

I would have been surprised that a less than 10$ pump could safely transfer hot wort.

But, I don't see why the mecanism of these "drill pump" would not work. The reason the 10$ ones do not work is that they are made of cheap plastic and they disintegrate quickly and are not food grade..

I did more research and found food grade, up to 90C (194F) degrees brass drill pump in the UK:

Brass Drill Pump - 0655

I have found 3 british homebrew stores selling these, but at the price tag they are selling these, it's not worth it compared to a march pump.

If these brass drill pump were available at half the price of march pump in the US that could be a cheaper alternative.. Anybody has seen it?

Back