Split Batch #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
I have been brewing 10 gal at a time for about 4 batches. While it has been nice to quickly build up my stock of favorite styles, it doesn't help much with variety even though I have been playing with different yeasts. After my last batch I started thinking about how to split a ten gallon batch and end up with 2 completely different beers. My LHBS gave me a copy of a recent Zymurgy with an article on this but it left me wanting much more.

The Plan:
5 gallons Cream Ale
5 Gallons Sweetmeal Stout

I used Warthog Cream Ale from BYO Clones as a base:
9lb 2 Row
9lb MO
1lb Crystal 40

And proceeded to mash per recipe. I split the first and second runnings evenly between two pots, topped off the Warthog to 5 gallons, and added 1.5 gals water for the boil (hit target preboil gravity dead on).

While the Cream Ale was boiling I collected 2 gal third runnings and steeped

12oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
12oz Oats, Flaked
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Crystal 40L
4oz Black (Patent) Malt
4oz Chocolate Malt (US)
(15 minutes boil) 8oz Milk Sugar (Lactose)

I didn't really know what to expect from the gravity of this but ended up with preboil of 1.053ish which is right about what I wanted. THe color seems a little light right; we'll see how it finishes out.

I am sure this is not new ground, jus tthought I would share in case anyone else is thinking along these lines.

Back