Mesquite Pods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
Just roasted ~4# of mesquite pods for an upcoming brew. It smells great, and the pods have great vanilla flavor. Anyone here brewed with mesquite before? Any tips or suggestions? I think I'll make a mesquite syrup and add it to an IPA recipe in place of the crystal malt.

Just roasted ~4# of mesquite pods for an upcoming brew. It smells great, and the pods have great vanilla flavor. Anyone here brewed with mesquite before? Any tips or suggestions? I think I'll make a mesquite syrup and add it to an IPA recipe in place of the crystal malt.

Sound very interesting to me. I'd like to her about this process.

GTG

Sounds interesting, however I would think it would be a very late addition or you would not taste anything in the final beer.

Sound very interesting to me. I'd like to her about this process.

GTG

I was inspired to brew a mesquite beer by an article in Zymurgy magazine written by a friend of mine. It discusses ethnozymurgy here in the Sonoran desert, and details brewing a beer with mesquite, and a cider with prickly pear fruits.

The process is pretty simple. It starts by collecting ripe dry pods. With most varieties of mesquite the pods contain 20-30% sucrose, and 10-15% other sugars, so it's not neccesary to malt or mash them, they simply need to be steeped to extract the sugars. It's a good idea to rinse the dirt off prior to using, especially if some of them were collected from the ground. They can then be spread out to dry, and then crushed when dry.

Since I wanted a more complex flavor than the raw mesquite provides, I chose to lightly roast the pods at 350F for 20-25 min. I think 10 min produces something similar to a light crystal malt, and an hour is similar to roasted barley. After roasting, I put them in a bucket and smashed them with a potato masher until the pieces were all under 1" long. At this point they could simply be added to a mash and treated like a specialty malt.

Since the sugar content of mesquite pods can vary quite a bit, it's a good idea to steep the mesquite and then boil down the resulting mesquite syrup a little bit. By measuring the SG of the syrup, you can easily adjust or repeat the results accurately for future brews. I steeped them for 90 min at ~150F before I was sure the SG had stabilized.

Even though it's not mentioned in the article, the author advised me that mesquite contains some aflatoxins that can cause some nasea or stomach pains if ingested in larger quantities. Just to be on the safe side, you can use bentonite clay as a fining agent to remove the toxins. Most homebrew stores carry it since it's used a lot in winemaking. It can be added to the mesquite syrup, or to the finished beer in the fermenter.

I'll update with results from the finished beer.

Sounds interesting, however I would think it would be a very late addition or you would not taste anything in the final beer.

I would think that boiling longer would caramelize more of the sugars and concentrate the flavors. I guess I'll have to try both ways and find out.

I got busy and didn't get around to brewing it for a while. I ended up using quite a bit of mesquite, and the flavor is pretty strong. My computer crashed and is being repaired right now, so I don't have the exact recipe handy, but I think I used ~8# in a 10 gal batch, and just added them to the mash. It took forever to clear, and I let it sit in the primary for ~7 weeks, and then dry hopped for 8 days. I just got around to kegging it last week, and it's still not fully carbed. The cinnamon, vanilla and caramel flavors really come through, along with a little bit of a woody flavor and quite a few tannins. I'd say however much mesquite I used is about the max. Any more and the tannins would become too much.

I'm thinking the flavors would also work very well in a robust porter, which is probably what will happen to the rest of the pods I have. I'm looking forward to harvesting a bunch more pods this summer and doing some more expirimenting.

The Zymurgy article was from Fall of 2002. If you PM me your e-mail I think I can send you a copy of the article.

I have brewed and bottled a mesquite wheat that came out great and and bottled a roasted mesquite stout with local grown black sphinx dates. I'll update with tasting notes as it matures a bit. If anyone is interested, I have been scouting local trees and will be harvesting pods starting in late summer as they begin to ripen. If anyone is interested in using some that doesn't have access to them, I will be happy to work out trades with them for other brewing ingredients/equipment. If there's some interest, I'll take it to the Classifieds forum.
Thanks,
GTG

I received my pods from GTG yesterday and gave them a roast today. I plan on using some in a black IPA, some in a porter and the rest I haven't decided. Here's about 2lbs. of the 3lbs. I received. The other pound got a darker roast so I wanted to let these stay a little lighter.

6s6mgjx

IMAG0115.jpg

I smoked 3 lbs of pods over some really nice old mesquite yesterday. I'm going to let it sit for 2 weeks and then use it in a smoked porter. I did a mesquite, wheat last year that was a hit with everyone. I actually think that you need around 2 lbs to get a good flavor from them. I also have some purple mesquite pods that taste like grape juice somewhat. I used 2 pounds of those in a tangerine, ortanique saison with yeast harvested from Great Divide's Colette. I used Nelson Sauvin hops, I'm looking forward to trying it out once bottled.

Back