Malt questions about to order with midwestsupplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accordpower99

Reaction score
Alot of the ipa recipes (bells two hearted ipa, stone ipa, etc.) from this website do not show a unhopped liquid malt. it just shows grain bills(crystal malt, cara-pils malt etc.)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

A recent brewers best ipa recipe kit I just brewed had a DME and LME and grains as well.

So do I still need the unhopped DME and LME for the clone recipes?

The link you attached is for an all-grain recipe. No extract is needed. However, you will need to mash/sparge your grain to convert & rinse the sugar. The process your talking about which involves LME/DME and steeping grains is different.

Time to back up a whole bunch of steps. There are 2 basic homebrew routes.

1) Buy extract that a professional brewer has mashed, boiled, and concentrated into an easy to use form.
2) Buy malted grains and conduct a mash like a professional brewhouse would.

#2 is not rocket science, but it takes some equipment and knowledge. You can't just toss the grains in a pot like you do extract and then boil them. All that will get you is barley tea.

sorry for being such a newb but im so confused on this stuff haha. The kit had grains that i steeped then added lme and dme and returned to boil. what is this process similar to or called?

sorry for being such a newb but im so confused on this stuff haha. The kit had grains that i steeped then added lme and dme and returned to boil. what is this process similar to or called?

That's "extract with steeping grains". The recipe you linked is "all grain". To convert, replace the base malt (2 row pale and Vienna in this recipe) in the recipe with ~.75 lbs of LME or ~.65 lbs of DME and keep the specialty grains (carapils and caramel malt in this recipe) the same. I'd recommend using light or extra light extract as the base for this beer.

Back