New Belgium Two Jokers clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevStL

Reaction score
This is my friend's new favorite beer, and I'd like to make her a clone of it.
I swear I saw a few recipes on Hopville the other day, but I can't find them now...
I'm looking for an extract w/ specialty grains recipe.

Thank you in advance from a still kinda noob brewer!

Oh yeah - that may have been part of my problem... just a wee bit hungover after last night's Zombie Burlesque show.

So as far as a recipe, I'd say using 60% wheat extract / 40% light extract. Use about 14 IBUs bittering, and toss in a little more of a floral/herbal hop near flameout. Based on the info from that site, you could do something like this:

5lb Wheat extract
4lb Xlight extract

14IBUs bittering
0.5oz of any Goldings, Willamette, something like that at 10 minutes.

That'll get you to the same gravity as Two Jokers, and close to the IBUs and color. Ferment with a yeast like Wyeast 3944 and stay away from the mentioned lactic fermentation. I don't recall a noticeable tartness in Two Jokers from when I had it last year (nothing moreso than a normal wheat beer, anyway).

The spices will be the tricky part. Cardamom in particular is a potent spice. I would advise buying some whole spices (from a spice shop if you have one nearby- LHBS spices are of dubious freshness and cost double besides). You can either add them at the end of the boil or make a steeped tea and add to taste.

I recall a detectable but not prominent level of cardamom, and no flavor or aroma that I would pick out as clearly lavender- more of an overall floweryness. If it were me, I would lowball the cardamom and lavender and add them at flameout, and plus up with a spice tea at bottling if need be. Maybe 1 or 2 cracked cardamom pods and 1tsp of lavender flowers. Make sure that the lavender is culinary lavender- the other varieties can taste soapy. Grains of Paradise can be cracked and added at flameout. The coriander and orange peel is a matter of preference- I tend to go with about 1oz of fresh grated peel at 10 minutes left in the boil, along with 1/2oz of cracked Indian coriander. Other people prefer the traditional bitter orange, or more coriander... ymmv.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back