does your lhbs do C02 fills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mine does not, but they're workin on it.
The store is 2 minutes from my house, but the place I go to for gas is more like 20-25 minutes away. Would be nice to one stop shop.
What does being able to do gas fills legally entail for the store???

NB is my local shop, and they do 5# exchanges for $15. I think they just get them from a local welding supply. It works out well to have a one-stop shop for everything, but the downside with the exchange program is that sometimes you get really crappy and rusted out cylinders. I even had one leaking from the main gasket recently. Then I learned to ask for a nicer tank if they hand you a sh*t one.

My new LHBS does not but there is a dive shop right next to it that does.

My new LHBS does not but there is a dive shop right next to it that does.

Lucky you, haha. I guess I shouldn't complain. Store is close enough.
I have 2 aluminum 5# cylinders that I purchased new so I have no interest in exchanging. (force carb with one push the kegerator with the other)

Yeah, mine fills Co2 for 2 bucks a #. They also started to swap out propane tanks but I get my topped off at tractor supply for about half the price.

Mine does an exchange, but I have two new 5lb aluminum Cylinders and don't want to give them up. I have a weld shop close by that fills them.

I worked at a gun shop that also sold some paintball stuff. We filled the paintball CO2 tanks and didn't need any kind of permit that I'm aware of. The only thing you need to do is make sure the tanks are in date. If you fill an out of date tank and something happens, then you would be liable. We just filled from large 100 lb tanks that the local gas and welding company delivered.

Mine trades out empties for filled tanks. The owner gets them refilled at a welding supply chain called airgas. He needs no special license to resell CO2 as it's non-flammable.

The LBHS is 3 miles away, and airgas is 6 miles away. LBHS recently started doing 5LB refill while i wait (takes maybe 5 minutes) for ~$15. Before that, I did the Airgas 5LB exchange for ~$35. So now the plan is refills from LBHS until the stamp on the tank starts to get close, then go swap at Airgas again. :)

Mine does an exchange, but he only takes good condition ones. So far every tank I have swapped seems to be in top condition so I am happy.

Mine does exchanges for $25. I am lucky that I have multiple sources to get CO2 in my area. Exchanges at air gas and praxair are also $25. There is also a paint ball store that does refills too. $12 for 5lbs.

I recently got an "upgrade" as the LHBS ran out of 5 lb tanks, they exchanged my 5lb tank for a 15 lb tank at no extra charge! Needless to say things are a little tight now in the kegerator.

I recently got an "upgrade" as the LHBS ran out of 5 lb tanks, they exchanged my 5lb tank for a 15 lb tank at no extra charge! Needless to say things are a little tight now in the kegerator.

I actually traded an empty 15lb tank that was out of hydro testing for a full 5lb tank with a current stamp. The 15 didn't fit on the shelf on the back of the kegerator i had at the time, so it was a decent trade for me. Now I wish i had a 15 instead of the 5...

TallDan said:
I actually traded an empty 15lb tank that was out of hydro testing for a full 5lb tank with a current stamp. The 15 didn't fit on the shelf on the back of the kegerator i had at the time, so it was a decent trade for me. Now I wish i had a 15 instead of the 5...

Yeah, my tank now sits in front of the kegs.

Back