mold in keggerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
i have a chest freezer that i converted to a keggerator. it seems to accumulate some water at the bottom, and if i leave it there i will get mold growth at the bottom of my keggerator.
does this happen to any of you other guys with a simlar setup? is that a way to prevent it? or do i have to just do regular cleanings of my freezer?
thanks
Joe

i do use bleach to clean it, i just want to make sure that this does happen to others, or if i need to be doing something different.
thanks

you need Damp Rid or another product to control excess humidity. some use silica gel products that you can reactivate with an overnight in a plug outlet. damp rid is a disposable, replace when necessary

Put some Calcium Chloride pellets (ice melter) into a mesh strainer or plastic bucket with small holes in it. Then lay that on top of a bigger bucket to catch the water. Helps rid the kegger of excess moisture, change out as needed. Cheaper than the commercial versions like Damp Rid.

Back