So an infection is a GOOD thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
I think my beer is infected. I brewed it nearly a month ago, secondaried about two weeks ago and just a few days ago it started getting these white spots floating ontop. Today the spots are gone and there are two or three small white bubbles. I can't take pics but they look just like many of the pics I've seen on here where people say it is an infection.

I plan on bottling today, so we'll see how it goes.

My question is, so many people seem to infect their beer on purpose, so is it safe to say that an infection is always a bad thing? This goes against everything that seems logical to me.

There are certain bacteria that are used to produce sour ales. This isn't really an infection though, any more than getting yeast poop in wort is.

It's probably just CO2 bubbles and I'm sure its nothing to worry about. You would know if you had an infection! At this point the beer has enough alcohol in it to create an undesirable environment for most bacteria, so don't sweat it! :)

Brettanomyces is a yeast that is used to give a purposeful infection to beer. It gives the final product a desired sour flavor. So while a controlled infection is desireable, uncontrolled are not.

Just an FYI, there are alot of pictures around here that people think are infections but are not. Alot of them are yeast, CO2 or hopoils. So don't get too worried if you had a few "bubbles" that looked like some other peoples pictures.

Oh, I'm not worried, I'm AM relaxed and I'm drinking said homebrew..:D (warm AND flat, it tastes great!)

I have never had my beer bubble like this. first, it started out as white dots/streaks, then those when away and there was a bubble or two. About 3/4 inch in diameter or smaller. It's been nearly a month since I brewed it. Also there was less then 3 gallons of beer in a 5.5 gallon carboy.

anyways, no big deal. the beer tastes great so far. It if my first AG and I'm pretty happy with it. :)

Latest posts

Back