Grolsch bottle cleaning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered already. I ran it through the search and read the first 3 of 16 pages. I'm cleaning some used bottles and some of them have a nice mold collection in them. I was going to soak them in oxyclean or bleach overnight but it occurred to me that it might not be good for the seals. Should I pull the seals off and soak them or just soak them as is? If I take the seals off can I put them back on or do I need to replace them? The seals look to be in good condition.

DSC06424.jpg

DSC06425.jpg

Thanks
John

I usually put a pinch of oxiclean in each bottle & fill them up, then close it and let them sit for awhile. I've rarely had seal issues.

I soak all my Grolsch bottles in bleach over night to remove the labels and mold, no seal issues yet with over 5 cases of them.

I soak my whole bottle - gaskets and all - in oxyclean or PBW overnight. I make sure to move the gasket around a little to make sure the cleaner gets in all the right places. I then soak in star-san while I prepare my bottling bucket and then just drip -dry them for 30-40 seconds before filling.

They do just fine. The important thing is making sure the gasket seats perfectly level with the glass to assure a complete seal. Also - do not keep them closed when between beers.

Back