American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a six pack over to a New Years party last night, i wanted to see what my friends thought of my first all grain brew. They all loved it. this recipe will be made again

Ed - do you think it would drastically change the recipe to use Crystal as the bittering hop here? I have lots of it and am looking for a good use, from the flavor profile it seems that, as a bittering hop, it would do just about the same as the Cascade, but take a little more of it.

Ed - do you think it would drastically change the recipe to use Crystal as the bittering hop here? I have lots of it and am looking for a good use, from the flavor profile it seems that, as a bittering hop, it would do just about the same as the Cascade, but take a little more of it.

I would not recommend it. Crystal is basically an American Hallertau substitute. It's a noble hop used for pilsners and lagers.

I would use Centennial or Amarillo and match AAU's.

hehe, well, ed was 9 minutes after I put the hops in, so I will call it a nice experiment. Maybe I will send him a bottle so he can compare it to the real deal and see if I ruined his popular beer :)

lets see how it turns out first :)

I am pretty sure I had an issue getting the top off water mixed in, at least that's what I hope. I ended up a little over a half gallon shy after doing a 75 minute boil and my SG is only 1.04. That would be 58% efficiency which I can't fathom is true. I think I am going to do some more mixing and try and take another reading in a little while.

I made up 5 gallons yesterday afternoon, and it started bubbling away today. Looks great and smells great. My girlfriend was walking in and out of the kitchen when I was brewing and noted that the wort had a nice smell and color to it.

Too bad it took nearly 5 hours to make! I enjoy making all grain brews but my electric stove top is killing me. I guess I'll have to eventually make the move outside with a turkey fryer.

Not to brag, but I did this for my first AG and had the current NY state home brewer of the year had a sample and gave it a thumbs up.

thanks for the awesome recipe Ed! i have brewed this once and am planning a batch for this weekend. my LHBS is out of munich and doesnt carry vienna, i am thinking english pale ale malt for substitute. What does everyone think? (i have a sack of vienna on back order so this can wait if it has to...)

36 hours after pitching, I woke up this morning and smelled a "yeasty" smell. Checked on the carboy and saw foam billowing out of the airlock. My first blow off tube!

Just brewed this up as my first all grain using Death Brewer's stove top easy all grain method!! It went well, I havent calculated my efficiency yet, but I think I had an OG of about 1.056!!

Hope this ferments as fast as Ed says because the pipeline is almost dry!

thanks for the awesome recipe Ed! i have brewed this once and am planning a batch for this weekend. my LHBS is out of munich and doesnt carry vienna, i am thinking english pale ale malt for substitute. What does everyone think? (i have a sack of vienna on back order so this can wait if it has to...)

I'm pretty sure it's the Vienna that give it a unique flavor amongst homebrews. It provides an almost liquid bread like attribute to it.

I just bought the grains and hops today. I input the recipe into Beersmith, but the IBU came out 26. It is lower than EdWort's 39... Did I do something wrong?
I input the correct AA% in Beersmith.

Anyways, that doesn't stop me from making this great beer.

Update: found the link... I set the brew type as partial mash... If I put it in all grain calculation, the IBU came out correct... Weird.

Thanks Ed, I will hold off until my bag of vienna gets in. I hope it is soon, this beer was enjoyed by all (even the SWMBO who just drinks wine). This has a remarkable similarity to Bells Two Hearted Ale, a little less bitter but very close. Thanks again Ed!

I'm going to give this recipe a shot for my first AG. This is probably a silly question, but looking at MoreBeer's base grains, do I want American Pale or British Pale?

American Pale | MoreBeer
British Pale | MoreBeer

What's the difference between these?

Thanks!

[edit] MoreBeer also sells only Crystal 15L. The info says they used to carry 10L but 15L ought to work for recipes calling for either 10L or 20L. I see Crystal 10L in numerous recipes, though... is it usually hard to get your hands on?

[edit] MoreBeer also sells only Crystal 15L. The info says they used to carry 10L but 15L ought to work for recipes calling for either 10L or 20L. I see Crystal 10L in numerous recipes, though... is it usually hard to get your hands on?

The reason you can't get Crystal 10L from MoreBeer is because they mostly get their malts from Great Western. Great Western Doesn't produce a 10L.
So any HBS that gets Great Western Malts won't have Crystal 10L.

Pick up some from AHS, they'll carry it.

I am going to try the extract recipe but I don't have a pot to do the full boil so I am doing a partial boil with 2.5 gallons and half of the LME so my hop utilization should not change correct? Then adding the other half 15 min prior to flameout how does this sound? Thanks

Its been almost a week and still the airlock is bubbling very vigorously! This brew has a fine color and smell to it and it seems a shame to have to wait over a month to try it.

I'm attempting my first AG today, using this recipe. It was awesome going to my LHBS an getting everything I need for under $20!

how does this compare to the budwieser american ale? or am i way off?

I'm about to try this recipe for my first AG batch, but I have a question about the hops schedule. I'm not sure what is meant by this:

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Once I start boiling the wort, can someone please explain to me when I add hops and how long to keep it in the wort before removing it?

Thanks.

You're counting backwards from 60. The 60 min hops go in as soon as you get a rolling boil. Then start your timer and count backwards. 15min hops go in with 15 LEFT. You don't remove the hops (unless you're using whole leaf).

Haus Pale pr0n!

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

My GD'd LP tank couldn't push out the propane for the last 20 min at a decent rate so I didn't get a very good boil during that time. That's not too bad of a problem since I didn't get very good efficiency this time, and came in with an OG of 1.049. Fck. Oh well. If it's half as good as last time it'll still be a kick as$ brewsky.

Thanks Ed.

This beer just keeps getting better. :mug:
I cringe every time I pull the tap now, just knowing the end is coming any beer now, its going to be a sad moment when that tap runs dry :(

I cringe every time I pull the tap now, just knowing the end is coming any beer now, its going to be a sad moment when that tap runs dry :(

So get started on the next batch!

I know, it happened to SWMBO on my last keg 2 hours ago. :(

Forgive me for not reading every page in this thread but when I read the recipe in the OP...then looked at the gravity...then looked at the 80% efficiency I immediately thought; "No way that adds up."

So I ran it through a calculator and at 75% eff. you should get ~1.052 in 5.5 gal. If the eff. is 80% you should get ~1.056 in 5.5 gal.

But I'm probably reading it wrong...is 1.051 the target OG?

I'm not much of a hophead...what's the hop profile like?

I hear that! We will be lucky to hit a positive number for the temp on Thursday.

Dang cold.

We will hit 9 or 10 tomorrow, but the overnight low for Thursday is -10 :eek::eek:

The keg made it through 2 more pints tonight :mug:
It has to be down to less than 2 or 3 more pints though
Not knowing is definitely the only negative to kegging!

Ha! Here in south Texas I'm trying to brew all I can to stock up for the summer. Once it starts hitting the 90's there would be no way for me to keep my fermenters cool enough, without having a $200 power bill.

To date I've only brewed extract while steeping grains (Crystal). I'd like to try this but with the mini-mash method.

I've been using BeerSmith in my brewing and I've noticed a dramatic improvement in my extract brews as a result. I'm not really familiar with BeerSmith's mash profile configuration.

For this brew, I understand that in order to convert the starches in the Vienna malt, it must be mashed. What do I do so I get the correct OG, efficiency, etc in BeerSmith?

I set type to "Partial Mash". I'm then guessing I have to add an infusion mash step under the Mash Profile, but I'm not sure what sort of equipment should be included. In the mini-mash, is the second 1 gallon of 170F water essentially sparge water? :confused:

can you reccommend a whitelab yeast in place of the dry? this is my first all grain batch and i always use whitelab yeast for extract, so i want to do an equal comparison to see if all grain is worth the extra time.

Back