How much oak and whiskey to put in a Russian imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandrew

Reaction score
Last night my buddy and I picked up a Russian imperial stout extract kit from friar tucks (only local place to pick up ingredients and the like) and we went on our marry way to hang with another friend... he bailed, so we went home and brewed the kit instead. ( first extract brew session since we moved to AG 2 months ago)... as we brewed we got to talking and I have really wanted to put some oak chips soaked in whiskey/Bourbon into a brew. He got super stoked about this idea so I'm asking you guys what you think is?

a) the type of whiskey or Bourbon and how much?
b) how much oak

I'm thinking Jameson at around 1 cup and 5 oz of oak chips .... I'm just not sure because when we tasted it after taking the OG it was extremly toasty and bitter (in a good way) and I know it will mellow but that is something to think about.

Unfortunately we are both on a budget so I would like something cheep or middle of the road (I do want quality and I will pay for it) And we are planning on making a dragons milk clone in the summer/early fall to be ready for the bitter winters of the Midwest ... oh wait its 62 degrees on the last day of January... we are also planing on making a Irish Carbomb Stout and a Dragons Milk, so if it can work for all that would be awesome, if not, I dont mind drinking some hard alcohol as well haha.

Back