Time to brew, using yeast cake (1028) vrs essex Krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclogenesis

Reaction score
So I have trub from a 1028 yeast ale, and a very actively fermenting white labs essex ale yeast..

So I am brewing a rather random ale today, and I am slightly torn between
a) Just using the whole trub
b) washing the trub (takes time.. I want to brew in the next 4 hours)
c) Top cropping the beer using the essex ale yeast which is currently pushing through the blow off tube!

Opinions?

a) I've done it before. It works. Get ready for a PITA krausen ring.
b) This is the correct way to do things, but I'm lazy sometimes too.
c) Could be a pretty cool experiment, since the stuff coming out of the blow off tube is considered to be the most active yeast.

Thanks.. A is very useful... I just don't seem to be getting the separation shown in many threads so I am tempted just to re-pitch the whole trub..

My strategy is this
1) Brew
2) if no obvious delineation in the trub just repitch the whole thing back into the dirty fermenter it came from on top of new wort..

I honestly don't even bother washing the yeast. I pour off most of the trub, yeast, and whatever else is in my primary fermentor into a sanitized ball jar. That jar goes into the fridge for a week or two. When I'm ready to use the yeast again, I pour off the beer that is on top of the yeast, give it a good shake, and toss all of it into a starter.

Back