to those familiar with Grain Belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flywheel

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I don't want to make a grain belt clone but I am looking for what imparts the grain belt sweetness to add to a future brew.

I found a clone online:
3# pilsen extract
3# corn syrup
Plus hops, etc

What imparts the sweetness, isn't CS 100% fermentable? Is it just the balance, a low BU:GU?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'm not sure how much of corn syrup is left after fermentation. But the sweetness may come from some other grains/adjuncts not listed. Or they may mash higher, or may be using a less attenuative yeast.

IMO that recipe is very short on details, and very likely not really that accurate. Using that much corn syrup is likely going to add some flavors that you don't want.

I'm not sure how much of corn syrup is left after fermentation. But the sweetness may come from some other grains/adjuncts not listed. Or they may mash higher, or may be using a less attenuative yeast.

IMO that recipe is very short on details, and very likely not really that accurate. Using that much corn syrup is likely going to add some flavors that you don't want.

That was my thought too, seems like a lot of corn syrup. The kit from Austin has .5# "steeping grains." Again, I'm not looking to make it, I'm just looking to add that type of sweetness into a brew. I bet your "... they may mash higher, or may be using a less attenuative yeast...." is probably my answer.

Well, the mashing is likely only going to work if you brew All Grain (Since it's only possible during AG) unless you mash your grains for PM, but I don't know how much sweetness you will get from that. It depends on the amount of grain I think.

I'd keep looking for recipes. I bet someone here has had a Grain Belt and can help.

I had a grain belt yesterday, it was terrible, but if i were to guess what the sweetness comes from I would say flaked corn. I doubt there are any specialty malts in this brew.

pilsen malt
flaked corn
sugar
yeast
ferment in direct sunlight in clear vessel (so you get that skunk piss flavor)
carbonate, store warm for a few months, then serve.

I think that would get you close

Back