Looking for a Shiner Bohemian Lager clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsTheBrent

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew this style of beer as my first venture into more complicated brewing, so I'm looking for a clone that is a partial mash and that uses ale yeast since I have no way to ferment at lager tempatures. Thanks in advance!

I'm looking to brew this style of beer as my first venture into more complicated brewing, so I'm looking for a clone that is a partial mash and that uses ale yeast since I have no way to ferment at lager tempatures. Thanks in advance!

What is the lowest temperature you can ferment at? You could certainly use a kolsch yeast, or even a clean American ale yeast, but unless you can ferment in the low 60s even these are going to give you too much character. That said, luckily this is the black lager you are interested in, so there is some room to cover an ale fermentation.

The website says 18 IBUs (Saaz and Styrian Goldings). Probably mostly near the start of the boil, but you could add .5 oz of either with 15-20 min left in the boil for a touch of aromatics.

I would guess that it is mostly American pale/pils malt, with a bit of Carafa Special II (or a similar debittered black malt) for color (maybe 6-8 oz, they say 50 SRM, but that seems too high), but not too much roasted flavor. You certainly could add some Munich or Vienna as well for malt complexity, or a little crystal for a bit of sweetness. 4.9% ABV, so aim for an OG ~1.049. Just use as much malt as you want, and pale/pils extract for the rest of the gravity.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Latest posts

Back