jump to second fermentator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeko

Reaction score
I read to empty the wort on a primary fermenter an cover with plastic sheet. Leave it for 1 or 2 days an then the carboy, I'm concern about contamination in the first fermenter.

Or... would be better to put it in the plastic bucket with the lid and airlock, and THEN pass it to the carboy ?

Please advise......

Sort of...

Put your cooled wort in primary fermenter (bucket or carboy). Add yeast, then add lid+airlock if you have them, otherwise non air-tight sanitized cover works too. Wait three weeks and you might be ready to bottle then.

Or put wort in primary fermenter, add yeast, then transfer to secondary after 1 week.

Do not transfer your fermenting wort after only 1 or 2 days in primary. It isn't ready yet :)

thank you nebben

I have the primary fermenter, that is the way I have been doing it (Just one fermenter)

Is it worth the work transfer it to the carboy? What is the diference I am going to find.

or advantages compared to the other method

On certain beers, especially if it is a low floccuation yeast, moving to a secondary can help to clear it up. Sometimes it is useful to get if off the trub as well.

I'd say about 80% of mine I leave in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then keg after fermentation is done.

Most of the time it ends up being that I need (or want) a certain fermenter for the primary. :)

Back