What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I invested in the mash tun. With my BIAB set up, I was losing a lot of temp in my mash. I did not like to swing things by firing up the burner again. I have a feeling I just do not really know what my true mash temp was when I was doing the BIAB brews. The Igloo, according to my digital pen thermometer, did not lose so much as 0.10 degree during the 60 minute mash on my SMaSH brew. I'm guessing that might be the biggest problem I was having with my BIAB porter/stouts.

Right now I just wrap my pot in a sleeping bag. Got a Igloo. Just need to fit it to a mashtun.

I use the Hanna 4.01 & 7.01 solutions since my LHBS carries them for about the same price as Amazon (a little over $1.00 each.) Easy to use and work well.

Having read through the water chemistry thread (and about 1/2 way through the book Water,) I personally would never use 5.2 buffer solution. The amount needed to bring your wort to the right level has to impact the beer in then (IMO.) I use distilled water and build it up and have never had to do much adjustment after dough-in to hit my pH.

I doubt it has a major impact on mouthfeel or clarity - I skip it when I'm brewing dark beers. Even the ******-bags on BA don't mention the clarity on an RIS. ;)
The reviews are all over the place but you say you use it with the calibrating solutions?
Is that these ($15)? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HE7W42/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Water. I have had too much coffee and junk today.

Last edited by a moderator:
HB pale. What's next?

SAM_2876.jpg

Odds are obviously not in my favor but care to make a beer wager?

I'm good.

But I will say the Niners will win a Super Bowl before Dallas wins 12 games.

Edit: Drinking two cups of water with two plates of food for lunch. Fat-ass syndrome.

I'm good.

But I will say the Niners will win a Super Bowl before Dallas wins 12 games.

Edit: Drinking two cups of water with two plates of food for lunch. Fat-ass syndrome.

The race to 6. If the giants can win the SB anything is possible!

I am not saying it does anything to the body. I am merely asking.

EDIT: also, short of adding lactos, what can be done to give these beers a thicker texture? Mash at a higher temperature, I would imagine would do it, but to what extent? Is there a grain that should be used to thicken up the beer?

A little late to the party but I will throw my $.02 in... I mash the stouts I want thick at 158-160 unless it is a high abv RIS that I want to make sure it ferments down lower than 1.030. I alway add flaked grains, I love what oats do to a stout but if you don't like oats try flaked wheat or barley but keep rice hulls around unless you BIAB. Lactose is also an easy addition to help thicken the mouthfeel. You can direct fire the pot if that is what you mash in, but make sure you recirculate with a pump (what I do) or stir really well and cut the heat before your target temp because it will continue to climb once the flame has been killed. /rant

And to keep on topic, more coffee

Is that one pouch per use? Do you buy the storage solution?

Yes, those are single use pouches. I haven't gotten the storage solution yet, I just rinse thoroughly with distilled water and then put a few drops in the cap to keep it from drying out. If my LHBS gets it back in, I will pick it up though.

I just ordered that PH meter Mark. If it doesnt work, I blame you ;)

Me too. $28 and then I did get the bottles of the pH stuff. With shipping, the single use packets were $12 already. I can research viability but I try and brew every 2 weeks anyway so I think I'll get some money's worth. I did forget the storage solution so I'll take your distilled water advice until I am ready to buy something else at Amazon. I don't think my LHBS has the stuff as they only sell 5.2 and strips.

Water and soon to be a sample of a really old "brown" I brewed that was a failed stout and my Sam Adams Imperial White.

Me too. $28 and then I did get the bottles of the pH stuff. With shipping, the single use packets were $12 already. I can research viability but I try and brew every 2 weeks anyway so I think I'll get some money's worth. I did forget the storage solution so I'll take your distilled water advice until I am ready to buy something else at Amazon. I don't think my LHBS has the stuff as they only sell 5.2 and strips.

Water and soon to be a sample of a really old "brown" I brewed that was a failed stout and my Sam Adams Imperial White.

Still cheaper than the bottle I randomly opened on a Thursday morning :)

You're slightly obsessed with that Sam Adam's, huh?

Got it!! Thanks for the heads up.. I have been wanting to start with water chemistry.

I am just now getting into it. I recommend reading the bru'n water "knowledge page" and using that spread sheet. It is kinda confusing when you first open the spreadsheet, but play around with it and read those red tabs. It will make sense soon.

Now I'm blaming you if it doesn't work...

ITs still on mark, IDK if it works yet :D

BTW, thanks for the heads up on that Mark. It looks like you helped a lot of members out here!

I am just now getting into it. I recommend reading the bru'n water "knowledge page" and using that spread sheet. It is kinda confusing when you first open the spreadsheet, but play around with it and read those red tabs. It will make sense soon.

I thought it was way over my head when I first downloaded that spreadsheet, and it takes me a while to remember how to use it each time, but it's not as bad as it initially looks.

I start with RO water and set Bru'n Water to 100% dilution. As I said before, I just take the spreadsheet's word for the fact that my grain bill and my water additions are hitting the pH that the spreadsheet tells me. I am interested to see how close I really get.

Do you keep some baking soda and some sort of calcium chloride right by your mash so you can adjust the pH on the fly?

Back