Help with calculating conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
I did my first PM today. I mashed 2# US Pale 2-row and 3# German Pilsner in 2 gallons of water for 60 minutes at roughly 151-154 degrees. I then sparged for 10 minutes in 170 degree water. I then combined the two and ended up with approximately 3.5 gallons of wort. The SG of the wort was 1.044. I calculated my efficiency at 84%. That seems high for a PM. Did I calculate something wrong? Here is my math:

2# Pale: 36x2/3.5 = 20.57
3# Pils: 37x3/3.5 = 31.7
Total: 52.27

44/52.27= .84

That depends... did you have 3.5g pre-boil or post-boil? Also, was this the amount that went into your fermenter, or did you top off to 5 gallons?

If you had 3.5 gallons post-boil, then you're right. Beertools is putting it at around 86.5% eff. but there could be a number a variables that are causing that extra %.

If you had 3.5 gallons pre-boil, then you had about 65% eff.

Both of these are assuming you didn't top off at the end.

It looks like he's only measuring against the volumes derived from the mash/sparge which is fine. To test it in BTP, you have to set the batch size to 3.5.

You can set it to 5 gallons, but then you'd have to factor in the gravity with the extract and additional water added.

85% efficiency is not unusual in such a small grain to water ratio. In other words, it's really easy to make worts at around 1.040 very efficiently.

I measured the SG preboil. In other words, as soon as I dumped the sparge water in the initial runnings I mixed it really well then took a gravity reading. Post boil, and after adding 3# DME(at beginning of boil) and topping off with water to 5.25g, I had a OG of 1.052 which was dead on where I expected.

I came up with my numbers calculated in my first post from How to Brew (JP).

So I guess I don't understand why the efficiency would be different in Suthncomforts reply for pre and post boil. Is he assuming something different than what I did?

All I'm doing is this...

I punch in that you started with 3.5 gallons pre-boil. That puts you at around 2.6 gallons post boil figuring a 60 minute boil and no other additions. So I'm basically calculating what your efficiency would have been if you were doing a 2.6 gallon batch without the addition of DME. BTP puts you at 65% efficiency for that.

This is what I concider brewhouse efficiency. The efficiency of the whole process and not just the mash. If you're calculating strictly mash efficiency, then yes, you have the calculations down pat.

Back