SG 1.060 FG 1.022 - bottle it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogref

Reaction score
It's a dark porter-style ale, I used the Wyeast 1098 'British Ale' strain. It's been in the fermenter 3 weeks and the gravity hasn't changed since I checked it last weekend. It's been pretty cold in the house lately. I tried a taste and it seemed pretty mild alcohol-wise.

Do you think with some warmer temps I could ferment out those last few points and get it under 1.020 or should I just bottle it?

Well you could try to shake up the yeast back into suspension along with warming it up a bit and then see...You have also let it sit on the cake for awhile as well, posible questions regarding autolysis arrise...If you do choose to bottle, you will still have a 5% or so ABV and thats not too bad...I would personally like to see most of my porters dry out a bit more but as the man says RDWHAHB...Did you use any adjuncts that would keep the gravity up (i.e. Lactose?)

What temperature has it been fermenting at? It wouldn't hurt to heat it up to 70 degrees, swirl the yeast up, and let it sit for a while longer. I did this recently on one of my batches with a heating blanket. I also recently built a waterbath using a 30g tupperware tub and a 150W aquarum heater to keep my fermentation at a constant 68-69degrees. My house has an ambient temperature of 62-63.

The heating blanket didn't work, but the waterbath has made a huge improvement. My first 2 batches didn't go below 1.020 and as of last night my 2 curent batches were sitting at 1.015 and 1.018... I imagine both will drop another few points over the next week before I bottle.

Worst case senario you will have let your beer condition for another week. I was planning on bottling my IPA on week 2 and was all stressed out when I didn't reach my FG (went from 1.060 to 1.020). After a week of heating and waiting I was even more annoyed that the FG hadn't changed. Fast forward to 2 weeks in the bottle and the IPA is FANTASTIC. Crystal clear, and miles ahead of my first beer which I bottled at 9 days.

It's been pretty cold in lately, the temp has been around 65 steadily where the fermenter is, probably on the low side of things. It tasted fine when I tried it yesterday but I think it could be a bit more dry.

I guess I'm just curious if another week would make a difference since the gravity hasn't changed at all since last weekend.

In my case it didn't help, but if you really want those last few alc %'s its worth a shot.

Both of the batches I did that finished high were a little sweet when bottled, but by week 2 they had mellowed out considerably. By week 4 they were fantastic, and the fact that they were about 1% lighter than they should have been didn't matter to me at all.

You might want to look into some temperature control for your next batch. For about $30 I was able to build a waterbath using a 150w aquairum heater from Petsmart, and a 30 gal tupperware. In the summer I'll be using it as a swamp cooler

Obviously down to taste and recipe, but after week of stable gravity my experience would say bottle it. I made a batch of Durden Park's Whitbread Porter which finished at 1.022ish, bottled after just shy of 3 weeks with 3oz priming sugar to the 5 US gall batch and am sampling now after 3 weeks in the bottle and it tastes very good with the right kind of light carbing. Can't wait for Christmas once it is has mellowed even more.

If it were me, I'd warm it up to 70 and give it a very gentle swirl just to get some of the yeast off the surface of the cake back into action just to see if it wants to come down a little more. After a week, I'd throw it in bottles either way.

The outdoor temperature went up to 70 today so I'm going to take that as a message from the gods to warm it up and let it go another week :)

Thanks for the input!

The worst that can happen is you get another week of batch maturation before bottling, so listen to the Fates!

Back