How does Beer Smith account for corn sugar in boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I'm running a recipe through Beer Smith for an IIPA that calls for 1lb of corn sugar, but I'm considering adding more to up the ABV and thin it out a bit more. When I change the amount of corn sugar in Beer Smith, it changes the IBU's and OG estimate, but how is it accounting for that since it doesn't ask how long it's boiled, or even if it is boiled since it says that it's "used mainly for priming bottles"?

I don't want screw this batch up since it's got 14 oz of hops in it, and am worried that the calculations might be off with respect to the effects of the corn sugar.

Thanks for your help

Looks like it calculates it as being in the boil the whole time. If you don't want it to do that you need to open up that particular item and check the "Add after the boil" then it won't affect the IBU calculations. No IBU calculation is perfect anyway, they provide a good guess.

no Con he is asking why when he adds sugar it lowers the IBU's and such...

The higher your wort gravity is the lower utilization of the AA's you get.... So as your adding your corn sugar its increasing your gravity and hence the lower IBU's

no Con he is asking why when he adds sugar it lowers the IBU's and such...

The higher your wort gravity is the lower utilization of the AA's you get.... So as your adding your corn sugar its increasing your gravity and hence the lower IBU's

Only if you have beersmith set to use Tinseth calculations, some of the otehr formulas don't take gravity into account when calculating IBUs

Back