BTP - Hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
So over the last few hours I have been going over my brewing methods and processes. One of the areas that I was focusing on was IBU's, residual sweetness, and the resulting off balance beers I have been getting.

I figured one of the issues was how BTP calculates IBU's when compared to the amount of the boil. I did some quick little tests and noticed that when I change the boil volume I do not see any changes in IBU's. I find this odd as how, more boil volume = better utilization.

I also did the same test in Beer Alchemy and noticed that when I increase the boil volume I also see an increase in IBU's.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with this in BTP and if so how did you go about fixing it? Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

What algorithm is used to predict the IBU's. The 3 common ones are Garetz, Rager, and Tinseth. They all produce different values.
Garetz and Rager do not take the boil gravity into account until that gravity exceeds 1.050, while Tinseth always takes gravity into account. If you are going to compare IBU forecasts from different tools, you need to make sure that the different tools are using the same algorithm, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

-a.

So after a lot more searching, both here, on the googles, and over at the BTP forum I found where this option is supposed to be. As it turns out BTP does not automatically take hop utilization in to account, per say. This is why I was seeing no change in IBU's when I increased the boil volume on all of my recipes, whether they were 1.030 or 1.080 beers. I found where you need to "turn this on".

Either when you start a recipe or after you have one selected you can go to (in the menu bar) Recipe --> Utilization. By default it is on basic, but you can choose any of the three popular formulas. Once you do this your IBU's should change.

However when I tried this it still did nothing to my recipes. Since I am on a Mac, I backed up my recipes as well as some other changes, and then I deleted the .plist. After I deleted the .plist this feature started to work. While I am not happy with the way that this needs to be done, and BTP handles hop utilization, I can live with it.

Just wanted you all to know. Ask if that seemed at all confusing.

Back