Has anyone ever used Canadian Red Vine hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I met a guy on HBT that gave me hops rhizomes. (Thanks Brent!!!)

Anyway, I was given Centennial, Saaz, and Canadian Red Vine.

Has anyone ever brewed with Canadian Red Vine hops?

Side note: Saaz has taken off like crazy and Centennial just broke the surface last week. Canadian Red Vine is barely poking through the soil but the bines poking through look much smaller than the other 2 varieties.

They are an old variety, grown way back in the day. I got some dried red vine hops at our local hop festival and they were very grapefruity and similar to cluster. A bit catty too. I hear they are often the last hops to mature in the season - they were commonly planted with English Cluster.

Bierhaus15,
Do you know of any recipes (all grain or extract) that call for or would work well with Canadian Red Vine?

Thanks.

Bierhaus15, Do you know of any recipes (all grain or extract) that call for or would work well with Canadian Red Vine? Thanks.

Don't know of any recipes that specifically call for Red Vine - I don't think they are used much considering how old they are. I used mine in a basic blonde ale and thought they were ok. I got tons of grapefruit and some rough catty character. They would probably do well in any hop forward beer, though I probably would mix them with American citrusy hops to get a cleaner profile.

Not too long ago I made a lager with some heritage "humphreys" hops that were grown in my area back in the late 1800's. So far it tastes pretty good, though a bit 'different' than anything I have had before. I've also used old variety cluster hops and they were extremely grapefruity too.

These hops sound really cool. Does anyone know if we can find them for sale anywhere? Sounds like something I would want to experiment with.

KyleWolf said:
These hops sound really cool. Does anyone know if we can find them for sale anywhere? Sounds like something I would want to experiment with.

I got my rhizomes from another HBT'er and I've never heard of them so I don't know.

We probably should post this question in the "obnoxious hockey trash talk thread eh?" And get some advice from the Canadians!

Older post, but I'll reply anyway. I ordered my hop rhizomes through http://www.freshops.com - they do carry Canadian Red Vine. Per their description, it is prolific and grows fast and well, but isn't the best choice for brewing hops, its primary function is for cover.

hey Ada, have you been able to harvest any of the cones from the red vine yet? I've harvested about three pounds from my cascade so far with a lot more to come. love to hear how you used them.

After learning they weren't necessarily for brewing I decided not to plant them. I didn't need any extra "cover."

I'd be interested to hear if Ada brewed with them.

I realize this is a very old thread but as I have experience growing and brewing with CRV I thought I would add my 2 cents. I live in SW MI and grow hops as a hobby. My CRV are great growers, and like another poster stated above, they are a late season grower, the last among my varieties. To say they are not good for brewing is only an opinion, I realize, but it is a bad opinion in my eyes. CRV is great for pale ales and IPAs, specifically late flavor and aroma additions. I would not use it as a bittering hop and I would pair it with a few other hops as well, but it is a great heirloom variety hop. I get slight citrus but mostly piney resin, which is just fine by me 😄

Jay

I realize this is a very old thread but as I have experience growing and brewing with CRV I thought I would add my 2 cents. I live in SW MI and grow hops as a hobby. My CRV are great growers, and like another poster stated above, they are a late season grower, the last among my varieties. To say they are not good for brewing is only an opinion, I realize, but it is a bad opinion in my eyes. CRV is great for pale ales and IPAs, specifically late flavor and aroma additions. I would not use it as a bittering hop and I would pair it with a few other hops as well, but it is a great heirloom variety hop. I get slight citrus but mostly piney resin, which is just fine by me 😄

Jay
Been growing them in Edwardsville, Illinois, and some local brewers use the flower to dry-hop their IPA's for the flavor. These plants grow well, produce three-inch hops, and are easy to harvest and dry.
Several years, however, I have had "ceramic mold" on them and that ruined the crop for those years. This year, looking good. I was advised to combine them with Cascade and Centennial, when I bought them.

Latest posts

Back