Web application for tracking your brews and sharing with others - interested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would a web-based brew-tracking/sharing app be useful?

• Absolutely!

• Yes, if it also did X

• Meh, why would I use it?

• Nah, would never use it

Results are only viewable after voting.

rubiconbeer

Reaction score
I've had an idea rolling around in my head for at least a year for a site that keeps track of your homebrews, and shows a calendar for upcoming tasks (transfers, bottlings, etc). It would also have a public-facing front-end that you could share with your friends to take a look at what you've got on tap.

I created a site like this for myself so I could keep track of my brews, and share my selection with friends (including a nicely formatted printout that I used for several parties) and I found it quite useful. So I realized that I could improve it and allow anyone to sign up, and even create your own subdomain.

What it isn't:
  • A replacement for BeerSmith/Promash/etc
  • A brew-day assistant
There are already nice pieces of software for creating recipes, and plenty of smartphone apps with timers, etc.

What it is (very undecided...):
  • Calendar/Planner for tracking brews and To-Do items
  • Inventory?
  • Recipe box (w/ sharing/rating?)
  • Your own URL to share with friends so they can see what you have on tap (use with discretion ;))
I've been a web developer for several years, but most of my projects are internal, and for businesses. I want to create a site where I can get active feedback from a community of cool people, and have fun with it.

My goal is to have a simple, but well designed site that looks nice, and works well, so that it only takes a moment to update the statuses of your beers before or after brewing/transfer/etc. And of course, it's on the web so you can access it from anywhere - and if your computer crashes you won't lose your data (and if the server crashes... well let's not worry about that yet ;))

The goal isn't to make money with this site. The initial versions will definitely be free, and most likely I'll always have a free plan that's quite functional. If it gains traction, I'll either have it be (very lightly) ad-driven, or add tiered plans for premium features. Very undecided at this point and I'd just like to see it get some users.

What do you guys think? Would this sort of site be useful? Would you like to use in conjunction with recipe-creating software, or would you want to use it exclusively (for brewers that are mostly following existing recipes)? Ideas welcome!

It would be cool to have a recipe base where any Tom, Dick, or Harry could get a recipe. One potential problem is that any Tom, Dick, or Harry could post a recipe.

Of course, we already have such a database on HBT...

Back