Been cold crashing my beer...what temp to bottle at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I have Octoberfest Ale that I brewed. I let it ferment at 62 for 3 weeks and dropped the temp for 1 week to 42F. My question is this....Do I need to raise the temp of the beer to room temp before I bottle? I was planning on adding about a 1/3 of a packet of a neutral dry yeast at bottling to ensure enough yeast for carbonation. Not sure if that has any bearing on my bottling temps.

1) No, do NOT add more yeast. It's not necessary as there is still enough yeast in suspension to bottle condition, even if you cold crashed

2) You can bottle at that temperature, no biggie. Just store it at ~70F and the yeast will do their thing

I have done it bolth ways and I found my bottles will carb up faster if I warm up the carboy first(pull it out of fridge day before) When I bottle it cold,then stick the cold bottles in a box,it takes days for the inner ones to get to room temp. :tank:

Your avatar makes it hard for me to focus on the question.So sure warm up your sweet peice'o'ass before you bottle.And you do not need to add yeast to the boobies.

I've probably cold crashed and bottled 25 carboys worth of Ale and have never added more yeast. It's just not needed.

I could be wrong but I think in the future after fermenting at 62 for 7 days or whatever you may want to bring the temp up to about 70 degrees to make sure you get good attenuation. I think ester formation happens during the first few days so the higher temperature won't cause any esters that are not appropriate for the style. Then after it's been at 70 degrees for a few days then crash cool then bottle....

the temp at whch you bottle affects the carbonation. the lower the temp at bottling time, the more CO2 remains in the beer as you bottle. If you allow the temp to rise and then bottle, there would be less CO2 saturating the beer. So, if you were shooting for a certain level of CO2, most times it assumes room temp bottling. Beersmith gives me these amounts of corn sugar to bottle 5 gallons at 2.5 vol CO2:

65 degrees= 4.27 oz. corn sugar
45 degrees= 3.15 oz. corn sugar

that's a big difference. I usually take my carboys out for a day and sit at room temp, just make sure they are wrapped/covered from light.

the temp at whch you bottle affects the carbonation. the lower the temp at bottling time, the more CO2 remains in the beer as you bottle. If you allow the temp to rise and then bottle, there would be less CO2 saturating the beer. So, if you were shooting for a certain level of CO2, most times it assumes room temp bottling. Beersmith gives me these amounts of corn sugar to bottle 5 gallons at 2.5 vol CO2:

65 degrees= 4.27 oz. corn sugar
45 degrees= 3.15 oz. corn sugar

that's a big difference. I usually take my carboys out for a day and sit at room temp, just make sure they are wrapped/covered from light.

I believe it actually has more to do with the temperature you ferment at, not bottle. But both will make some difference.

I believe it actually has more to do with the temperature you ferment at, not bottle. But both will make some difference.

my understanding is that mhot55 is right....

there have been a few threads on here about the subject - related to Palmer's pictogram - see this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/palmer-wrong-about-priming-sugar-113546/

Palmer_s_carbination_pictogram.gif

My thing is, when is done fermenting at 68* or whatever temp, it can't get anymore CO2 in solution than it already has (besides what is in the headspace). However it is done, on our level, I don't think you can get it exactly right.

My thing is, when is done fermenting at 68* or whatever temp, it can't get anymore CO2 in solution than it already has (besides what is in the headspace). However it is done, on our level, I don't think you can get it exactly right.

hence the reason why most probably just 3/4 cup and call it good...

fermentation temp can make a difference but CO2 will still be trapped inside the fermenter after fermentation. If you open it up at room temp, most of the CO2 escapes, with a small amount in the liquid. If you cool it, more CO2 passes into the liquid and less escapes, thereby making the liquid more saturated with CO2. Think about soda (or beer, we are talking about it) at room temp or cold. Open a fully carb'd beer at room temp and see how flat it seems AND how flat it gets quickly.

Latest posts

Back