Need help... body of beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdCrow

Reaction score
Hello. I've been brewing beer for a couple years now. I've used various kits & recipes as well as trying my hand at my own recipes.

I've had good success with my own recipes but it seems that anytime I come up with my own recipe the beer tastes good, but is very filling & it's tough to have more than just a couple.

Anyone have any tips on what to watch out for when trying to make sure a beer isn't too filling? I don't have a specific recipe in mind because it seems to be a common thing among all the recipes I come up with on my own & that's been everything from a pale ale to a brown ale to stouts.

Any thoughts?

A few general tips: Cut back on the crystal malts. If brewing with extracts, cut down on the amount of extract (you can make up OG points with sugar or honey). If brewing all-grain, reduce your mash temperature a few degrees.

The "fullness" feeling is from proteins or the non-fermentable sugars (complex carbohydrates). Unless your using poorly malted grain without using a protein rest I would assume your getting a lot of non fermentable sugars. If you are mashing at a little to high of a temperature you will get more of those non-fermentable sugars or if your using a high quantity of dextrin type malts or extracts or adjuncts. Would really need to see more details in your recipes and processes to diagnose further.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I know its tough to pinpoint what the cause is without seeing more details, but I think I have a few adjustments I can try.

Back