DIY Stir Plate Potentiometer Specs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the rest of your design. I've seen some call for 25-ohm, some for 2000-ohm. Google "stir plate potentiometer" and see what you get. Lots of full designs online.

25-ohm, 3-watt seems to be the majority leader in the ones I've seen, depending on the inputs and what sort of motor you're driving.

If you use a potentiometer with out using a voltage regulator then it will get hot and you will end up generating a significant amount of heat and it will have to have a large wattage rating. You will want a LM317 and a 5k pot. You will still want to use a heat sink the LM317 to disperse the heat generated by the regulator.

Clem

I just dug through through my old electronics bits stash to see if I had the right stuff to put together a stir plate. I found a 1-megaohm .5w 500VDC linear-taper potentiometer - no idea why I have it. I don't fully understand the ohm rating of the pot - is this too big to use?

Back