Re BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Just saw a post about this. I've been using a grain bag during my mash(in my boil pot), then transferring it to a lauter bucket and sparging back into the boil pot. Is this what is meant by BIAB, or does that imply no sparge? Seems hard to believe that you can get all the sugar just tea-bagging the grains.
I'm just using the bag for convenience in moving them from pot to bucket.

Also, does anybody else squeeze the bag for the last bit of wort? Always seems to have sugar in it, and since it's to be boiled, I figure what the heck.
Thanks

I will try to answer your question. I apologize if I don't. I do BIAB with 1 pot, and squeezing the heck outta the bag. Many people will dip the grain bag in hot water with the other pot, and you can help efficiency that way I believe, but I haven't had a free pot yet to try that.

No sparge? Do you come near the computer generated OG for your recipes? It sounds too easy.

No sparge I got 77% efficiency. It was an all grain kit from austinhomebrew and estimated OG was 1.051 and I got 1.054. Went down to 1.010.

I do BIAB with a dunk sparge in a second pot of strike water. The true BIAB was developed for full boil volume mash with no sparge. This means only one pot to do the whole job from mash to fermenter.
I like the idea of a dunk sparge for 15 mins with a good amount of stirring just to help get the best efficiency possible. It takes two pots, but washing a second pot isn't that big a deal to me.

A lot of people recommend using more finely ground grains in BIAB since you don't need to worry about a stuck sparge. This typically allows you to get increased efficiency. I've read /seen some very high efficiency doing this and with no sparging at all (but maybe a little bag squeezing).

Back