Sold Motorcycle to upgrade brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBLbrewer

Reaction score
Well I've done it. I sold my motorcycle to get funds to upgrade my brewery. I see an all electric rims system, fermentation chamber, and acouple conical in my future.

Problem is I've had it since 2003, and have only put 4000 miles on it. I spend my free time brewing.

-1. I disagree. Sure, going with an insane brew system sounds good, but you are only taking your beer from a 7/10 to an 8, maybe. But your motorcycle fun just went from a 8/10 to a 0.

Arbitrary numbers, but they make my point.

I'd argue that depending upon what the current equipment is like, this could be more of a 2/10 to an 8/10 on the brewing side. This comes from direct personal experience. We just bought a house and I only have 2 stock pots and some fermenters and carboys. I'm considering selling my commuter/track bike (single speed/fixed flipflop) to fund some brewing bling.

You might be an alcoholic if.......

:p I kid. But man. I'd sell my brewing equipment any day and commit to store bought if it meant I could have a motorcycle :D

I've seriously considered selling my 1999 VLX. I dislike riding in the rain and/or on wet roads and that's 9 months out the year out here. And it's been freaking hot in the summer the last five years, 100F in a full suit ain't fun.

ouchie.

i only rode a handful of times last year, mostly on the track. but brew stuff would go before bike stuff any day. watching a pot of water boil doesn't come close to 150+ mph, knee down, a$$hole puckering action!

d*mn....now i got excited about motorcyclin......50 days!

ouchie.

i only rode a handful of times last year, mostly on the track. but brew stuff would go before bike stuff any day. watching a pot of water boil doesn't come close to 150+ mph, knee down, a$$hole puckering action!

Amen, brother. I aint giving up either one.

It's not a permanent thing. In a few years I'll get a bigger bike. It just made more since to sell the one I wasn't using and quit paying insurance and plates on it. When my Ida are old enough to be home alone, it will be easier to be out riding.

Just sold my guitar to fund my first AG rig. Not quite as big a sacrifice as a bike, but was sorry to see her go.

But, realistically, I haven't seriously played the guitar in over 15 years and haven't picked it up ina year.

:drunk:I got two bikes. I haven't rod either in a year except crank them....I'm not giving them up for brew stuff......

Bad decision in my opinion.

I did pay off a credit card too. So it really served two purposes. Streamlining my finances, and upgrading my brewery.

I considered selling my completely restored '45 dated M1 Garand to buy brew gear. I'd sure use the new gear more than I shoot the Garand, but I'll never get another gun like that again for such a sweet price.

I considered selling my completely restored '45 dated M1 Garand to buy brew gear. I'd sure use the new gear more than I shoot the Garand, but I'll never get another gun like that again for such a sweet price.

Ok Give! ,How Much!

I don't think I could sell my bike. I am one of those 15,000 miles a year kind of guys and really enjoy ridding.

Is it 30/06? Sweetest gun I ever shot...

I was going to start off saying WTF?!?! Are you crazy.. and then I saw you had a shadow 750 which was one of the first bikes I ever had ownership off for street. So I can understand the decision... if it was a real bike (sports bike of course (HAHA waiting for the hate from the Harley guys) I would be PO. And if it was a Harley I would say you better get a brew shed or a startup cost for a brewpub with that kinda of money.

So what does a bike buy in brew equipment is my question... I just want to make sure you get the equal value and its not something the SWMBO put up and you only get to spend 25% of bike into brew gear and the rest into say drapes or new cabinets....

ouchie.

Or even a lazy ride through the Napa Valley.
I have a great home made gravity flow propane system. You can build one for $500 - $700. I wouldn't sell my bike for an expensive brewing set up.

Oh yeah, what's with the electrical system? You mean you heat with electricity? That can't be efficient.

Lots of older Honda's for sale on CL in the $1000 range. Heck I even saw a desperate guy selling a Harley Sportster for $1800 in my area, last weekend.

Well not in California. Gas is sooo much cheaper here than electricity. And gas/propane heats so much faster than electricity. Dollar for dollar.

Ah gotchya, my electricity costs around 11 cents/kwh So doing a normal batch costs me under $1.50 in electricity. I was on propane before and with an exchange costing $20 or so and 3 or so brews to a tank it is definitely cheaper for me. Didn't do it for the cost though, I love brewing in my basement instead of outside in the winter.

well it was only a Honda..... J/k :D

I have to say if you weren't riding all that much and or enjoy brewing more than there is no problem.

I would never sell the bike to brew. But I have over 70k on my 02 Springer

As far as bikes go, I've been quite blessed. I was given my first bike about 6-7 years ago, little 1978 250 2-cycle yamaha enduro, wasn't street legal since most of the lights didn't work, but it was fun on the trails.

Bought a 1980 KZ750 4 years ago, fixed it up some and actually did some riding, then got hit by a car. God really was protecting my wife and I though, walked away from the accident. I just now got the rest of the parts to finish fixing that bike (wreck was 3 years ago...)

I was given a bike in the fall from my boss, 1982 750 Yamaha maxim, that's the one that is getting fixed up and sold :) (Looking at 8-900 I hope)

Looking forward to a full riding season this year, when I get my kawi fixed.

Oh and the 1982 Yamaha 750 is the only bike I own that is younger than me...

Ah gotchya, my electricity costs around 11 cents/kwh So doing a normal batch costs me under $1.50 in electricity. I was on propane before and with an exchange costing $20 or so and 3 or so brews to a tank it is definitely cheaper for me. Didn't do it for the cost though, I love brewing in my basement instead of outside in the winter.

I admit it does cost me about $3.00 per batch for propane. I brew in the garage. I get warm in there when I'm brewing.
Sorry, I didn't mean to get off topic or start a debate.

3rd or 4th engine?;)

Lower is original I wanted it bigger so now it's a 95 ci with gear drive cams.Had a friend bore out the jugs and did everything else in my garage. That 70k is hard miles too. I did the engine at 1000 miles so th 70k is the actual mileage for the bike. I did have to replace the Springer bushings at 50k but they are hard on them do to the design.

Friend has an 94 Road King evo with 122k on it no engine work at all.

Back