Mocha Chocolate Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfnSun

Reaction score
Hi all I apologize if this isn't where I should be posting this question, but this is my first day using this website as a member so I haven't gotten down the navigation of the site down quite yet.

Anyways I was wanting to brew a stout beer with hints of coffee and chocolate, I have heard that you can put the coffee in your secondary (kind of like dry hopping from what I can gather) or you can put it in near the end of your boil. Any one have any advice on which is better and what the differences would be? And if anyone would like to share a recipe they liked, that would be great as well. I appreciate any input you guys put in.

Welcome to the forum. I brewed a Chocolate Espresso Stout recipe, here's the link to Tuck's recipe. I added a handful of Espresso beans into the secondary. I brewed this on Aug. 3rd, and it went into secondary with the coffee beans on Aug. 19th. It's been kegged now for about six weeks.

It had a very strong coffee jolt, but it's getting much smoother and more complex now that's it aged. I'm thinking of moving this to bottles. This is a beer that would age really well, and I'd like to free up a tap.

Again, welcome. You'll find this forum very helpful and very forgiving compared to most user groups forums on the net.

Back