Quick question re: bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
I just realized that I don't have any free buckets to use as a bottling bucket. Usually, I just use my primary fermenter/ ale pail, but it currently has brew in it.

I'm thinking I may just pour the dissolved corn sugar water into the 5 gal secondary carboy, and then just mix a bit w/ racking cane and wait 5-10 min to allow for it to diffuse throughout. Then bottle as normal.

Bad idea?

No problems with that at all. Just don't splash the beer around too much. Pour the sugar mix in first and then the beer. Should not need mixing. If it does be careful not to break the cane

...then go buy another bucket / barrel!

Well, I don't think I would do that. I'd wait until you have a bottling bucket free, or else go buy one. The reason is this: You do a secondary to clear up the beer and have the trub fall out. If you pour your priming solution into it and stir, you'll be stirring up the trub. You'd probably get uneven carbonation, too, since it would be hard to distribute it equally throughout.

I love my bottling bucket and bottling wand and think it was well worth the $10 or $15.

Madtown Brew said:
I just realized that I don't have any free buckets to use as a bottling bucket. Usually, I just use my primary fermenter/ ale pail, but it currently has brew in it.

I'm thinking I may just pour the dissolved corn sugar water into the 5 gal secondary carboy, and then just mix a bit w/ racking cane and wait 5-10 min to allow for it to diffuse throughout. Then bottle as normal.

Bad idea?

What kind of beer? If it's a hefe/wheat, it might work.

The problem with your idea is that the priming solution needs to be stirred into the beer enough to fully mix it and make sure that you don't have bottle variation (some undercarbed, others bottle bombs). But if you directly stir the secondary, you'll be stirring up all the particulate that you've been waiting to fall out...and you'll end up with alot of gunk in your beer. Stirring it "a little" might not rouse the trub too much, but it'll also heighten your chances of not fully mixing the priming solution in.

Do you have any carb tabs?

Whats wrong with using the carboy instead of a bucket. He is not pouring the sugar into the secondary and mixing it there.

EDIT : or is he? Evan - what are you doing?

Madtown Brew said:

Bad idea?

This is what I was answering- if I misunderstood it, then Dibby is correct. You can bottle out of a carboy with a siphon, but I wouldn't do it out of the secondary. I'd rack into a clean sanitized carboy.

Jings, can you tell I have not had any coffee yet (0925am here).
...Why am I asking Evan! - Hoi, Mr MadTown Brew, what are you doing?

*retreats back under rock *

woah, don't all post at once. :ban:

I guess I could've been more clear, but yea, I was considering pouring the priming sugar water into the secondary full of beer. But, as Yooper pointed out, that would be stupid as I would stir up all of the sediment and probably wouldn't get good mixing anyway. :drunk:

Thanks for the replies.
(runs out to get another bucket)

HBT forums: talking noobs out of bad ideas since...

no tree or washer here. At 30-40 clams per extract brew, I kinda figure there are other things to spend the $$ on right now. Currently have the ale pail and two 5 gal glass carboys. Next to come will be a 6.5 gal carboy so that I can actually see all the fun action during primary. After that, I'll probably start to backfill those other amenities mentioned above while continuing to DIY some all grain equipment and a ferm. chamber.

Well, I gots the bucket. Off to bottle!:mug:

I am in a similar jam with no time to hit up the LHBS...

I was also wondering about adding sugar to secondary but this thread has changed my course on that idea plus I have about 2 oz of hops in it so that would just be a mess..

I did have another idea of using my brew pot as a bottling bucket. Has anyone tried this? I can't really see a downside but it's nice to get outside opinion. I siphon to bottles anyway so the loss would be minimal..

And you can prime each bottle before you rack into it. Divide you priming sugar between all your anticipated bottles and rack directly into them. I have done this for 15 plus years before turning to the better bulk priming method.

dibby33 said:
Joking aside, a beer tree will help make the process quicker and easier.
I've got a bottle tree, its called a dishwasher. Works great and there is no clean up necessary if you bottle over the open door. My setup is nice in that I have a kitchen island right near the dishwasher that I can set my full bottles on as I fill them.
I've got a 3rd bucket in the mail and two carboys currently. I'll probably pick up another Better Bottle in a future order.
This hobby is great but addicting.

Craig

Back