Great Lakes Holy Moses Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
All,
I come humbly seeking the expertise of those on here on the HBT forums. Say what you will, but I have always enjoyed the Holy Moses brew from Great Lakes and want to see if I can clone it. Below is my extract recipe and a link to the GL spec sheet……let me know what you think!

My biggest areas of concern are amount of the spices and when to add them.

Thanks in advance and brew on!:rockin:

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/uploads/Beer/WEB Profile Holy Moses 2012.pdf

Great Lakes Holy Moses – Recipe #1

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 3.0 gal
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0% AA

Original Gravity: 1.053
Terminal Gravity: 1.013
Bitterness: 21
Alcohol: 5.2%
SRM: 3

Ingredients:
4.25 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1.25 lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
0.75 lb Flaked Oats
0.50 lb Torrified Wheat

Hop Additions:
1.0 oz Hallertau (4%) – Add @ 60 mins

Additional Ingredients:
0.5 oz Coriander – Add @ 30 min.
0.25 oz Chamomile – Add @ 10 min.
0.5 oz Bitter Orange Peel – Add @ 5 min.

Yeast:
Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944

All,
I come humbly seeking the expertise of those on here on the HBT forums. Say what you will, but I have always enjoyed the Holy Moses brew from Great Lakes and want to see if I can clone it. Below is my extract recipe and a link to the GL spec sheet……let me know what you think!

My biggest areas of concern are amount of the spices and when to add them.

Thanks in advance and brew on!:rockin:

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/uploads/Beer/WEB Profile Holy Moses 2012.pdf

Great Lakes Holy Moses – Recipe #1

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 3.0 gal
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0% AA

Original Gravity: 1.053
Terminal Gravity: 1.013
Bitterness: 21
Alcohol: 5.2%
SRM: 3

Ingredients:
4.25 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1.25 lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
0.75 lb Flaked Oats
0.50 lb Torrified Wheat

Hop Additions:
1.0 oz Hallertau (4%) – Add @ 60 mins

Additional Ingredients:
0.5 oz Coriander – Add @ 30 min.
0.25 oz Chamomile – Add @ 10 min.
0.5 oz Bitter Orange Peel – Add @ 5 min.

Yeast:
Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944

Love this brew man, should've just been released for 2012. Cant wait to pick up a 6er.

Using DME, I dont think you can clone it. You can probly make a good brew but you'll need to brew AG to come real close IMO, esp color. The orange peel, Chamomille, and coriander should be put into the boil the last 10 and ideally steeped as you cool w your chiller.

Let me know how this turns out man im interested..

Hi.

Just email the brewmaster. I was trying to clone their Christmas Ale and the correspondence was great. They are pretty great over there.

Good luck!

Hey RedHead, you still around? I've been searching for a Holy Moses extract clone with no success. Did you end up brewing this recipe and if so, how did it turn out?

MMJfan said:
Hey RedHead, you still around? I've been searching for a Holy Moses extract clone with no success. Did you end up brewing this recipe and if so, how did it turn out?

I am also interested in this one.

I ended up finding an AG recipe for this beer. I actually emailed this recipe to one of the brewers at Great Lakes who helped me out with my Christmas Ale recipe and he said it looked pretty spot on to him. I brewed using the BIAB method last night and I think it turned out ok. This was my first time doing BIAB and I must say, it was quite fun. The only thing I forgot to do was to take an OG reading?! Too many beers during brewing and it was also about 12:30 am and my bed was calling me?!

My fermenter was bubbling away this morning so hopefully all is well. Can't wait to see how this turned out!

Well, this one has been in primary for 2 weeks. Decided to take a sample for a gravity reading yesterday and to taste it. My gravity reading came in at about 1.020 which hopefully comes down a bit before I bottle in a week or so. It tasted OK, but it was also a little watery tasting and it looked very light colored.

Seeing as how this was my first attempt at BIAB, I think I that there are some things I need to do differently on my next stab at BIAB. One is having the grains double milled. I have since learned that the finer the mill of the grains, the better for BIAB so I am going to give that a try. Also, I am going to do a sparge on my next BIAB. I only have a 7.5 gal kettle and I also have a 5 gal. kettle so I am going to mash the grains in about 6 gal. of water specified mash temp in my large kettle and then transfer my grain bag to the smaller kettle and sparge in about 2-3 gal. of water at 170. Hopefully that will help increase my efficiency.

Latest posts

Back