solder question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05m50dan

Reaction score
Been having trouble with my mash tun and stuck mashes. So I revised my false bottom braid. I made a loop with a gatorbite copper T, and used lead free solder (from lenox bought at Lowes) to make a coil I shoved inside the SS braid to keep it from collapsing. Now the question is, is the solder going to be a problem in the mash tun? Will it leach chemical into the wort?
There's about 1.5-2 feet of solder in the coil.

Been having trouble with my mash tun and stuck mashes. So I revised my false bottom braid. I made a loop with a gatorbite copper T, and used lead free solder (from lenox bought at Lowes) to make a coil I shoved inside the SS braid to keep it from collapsing. Now the question is, is the solder going to be a problem in the mash tun? Will it leach chemical into the wort?
There's about 1.5-2 feet of solder in the coil.

Why not just use stainless wire, or even brass or copper wire?

didn't know it could be a problem. I thought solder was fine since its used on brass pipes to run water though the house, until someone told me it might be a problem. Now I'm not sure if I should use it or not.

If you got the solder from the plumbing department, no risk. It's used in every single home in the US to solder copper pipes that carry potable water!

Just make sure it is intended for drinking water use. Need silver solder, make sure it is lead and cadmium free. Also make sure any flux you use is lead and cadmium free.

It is lead free. I didn't use any flux...just twisted the solder around a screw driver, shoved it inside the SS braid, and used o-ring clamps to secure the braid to plastic pipe. I found the solder in the plumbing dept with all the fittings I used.

My concern is since that solder is rather soft, when stiring the mash ya might cave those coils in too if ya hit it just right...I would just use a heavier guage wire and play it safe...

its probably fine, but if you were doing it again you should just get a foot or two of 12 or 14 gauge Romex electrical cable. its much more rigid than solder, withstands higher temperatures, and copper is naturally somewhat antibacterial.

and its way cheaper

That's actually a good idea...I may have some Rome laying around! Thanks. I'll probably just save the solder for plumbing and use the romex.

the only thing chemical-wise that would leech from solder would be if it had a flux core. if it was just solid lead-free solder wire, it should be fairly inert.

though its not a bad idea to just swap it out if you have some copper wire laying around anyways.

My concern came when I thought about the different metals being exposed to an acidic environment in the mash. But I plan on just swapping it out now and not experimenting with the solder.

Latest posts

Back