Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
I had a question about using secondary fermentation. I was going to try it for the first time with my oatmeal stout, but after reading more about using a secondary, I'm finding that it's really more for lagering. Would it be worth it to give it a try, or would it be a waste of time? I have not done a secondary fermentation on my other beers yet, and they have all turned out great. thanks

While I am no expert, I think racking to a secondary is a good idea if you plan to keep it in the fermentor for longer periods of time. Its good to get if off the trub to aid in clarifying. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons too. But you can totally brew fine beer without doing it also.

secondaries are not just for lagers.

just about any beer will benefit from the use of a secondary fermenter. it allows the beer to clar up better and results in a cleaner tasting and looking beer.

-walker

Matt said:
after reading more about using a secondary, I'm finding that it's really more for lagering.
Along with How-To-Brew, here's another article on secondary fermentation by Ray Daniels. I'm not sure where you read that it's more for lagering...I think I would take that source with a grain of salt. :(

Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and racked to the secondary. Also took the S.G. while I was at it, and drank the S.G. Sample. This will be my best beer yet!!

Back