Canadian Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some input on a Canadian Ale Recipe. I have tried all my normal avenues, but have come up empty handed. Looking for an all grain recipe. Reason I want one is that I tried the new Ship Yard Export Ale last night at Uno's, and it was a nice refreshing beer. Had a very neutral, clean yeast with no residual Yeasty flavors with a little bit of hop bite that was all but dissapated in the aftertaste. Light and golden in color. Anyone have a recipe for me to look at?

What you are describing is Blonde Ale -- an ale that's bit more bitter than an American Lager but not as hop focused or rich as an APA. Here's a recipe I've brewed before that gets close to that style. Can't compare it to the Ship Yard, though -- never had it. I like mine with a smidge of low color crystal which isn't always common in the style.

9 lbs American 2 row
.5 lb 15 L Crystal
1 oz Cascade hops (60 min)
.5 oz Mt. Hood or Hallertauer (10 min)
WLP 001 Cal Ale yeast

Mash at 153F

EDIT: mkling beat me to it, but with similar results...creepy :drunk:

I've never tried Shipyard's Export Ale, but i would assume the grain bill is a majority 2-row with some light caramel malts (10L or 20L)

The yeast sounds like US-05, Notty, WLP001, or WY 1056 fermented on the cool side. It is a dry beer right?

Can you give some more insight on hop flavor/bitternes/aroma?

I would do something like:

90% 2-row
10% Crystal 10L or 20L
60 min. addition*
30 min. addition*
*Additions to equal say 15 IBUs or something
Yeast - mentioned above

Mash between 150-153F

DISCLAIMER: This is a complete stab in the dark, but i think it would be a good Canadian/Blonde Ale.

How is it that in 16 years of Brewing, I have never brewed a simple blonde Ale? Closest I have brewed would be Haus' Pale Ale. Hey guys, thanks for the insight. Only thing I think I will change will be the yeast. I am going to go with WLP 007 for this one and ferment around 64-65 degrees. :mug:

I think the WLP007 will be fine. Not quite as clean as most Canadian Ales I've tasted, but it's a nice yeast & will do you well. I mash a bit lower because it isn't quite as attenuative.

Nottingham would also work well here.

Let us know how it goes.

Back