The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired up the wood fire oven today. Shortly after getting it going go figure it starts to snow.
IMAG0012.jpg

I'm getting pretty close to my biscuit dough crust being more like pizza crust. Still tweaking the amounts of baking powder, salt & EVOL. Besides the amount of margarine/shortening/milk to stick it all together. Might 86 the margarine/shortening, making it more like spoon biscuit dough & see how close that get. There's something about the extra virgin olive oil combined with the other things that I've found makes it more bready.

I'm getting pretty close to my biscuit dough crust being more like pizza crust. Still tweaking the amounts of baking powder, salt & EVOL. Besides the amount of margarine/shortening/milk to stick it all together. Might 86 the margarine/shortening, making it more like spoon biscuit dough & see how close that get. There's something about the extra virgin olive oil combined with the other things that I've found makes it more bready.

Is there a reason you don't want to make yeast dough?

Biscuit dough is a country style mom came up with ages ago that's quicker. My experiments to get it more like yeast dough/pastry is getting close. I just like how it's quicker & easier to throw together without forethought. Besides, this house is cold in winter for good yeast action.

Biscuit dough is a country style mom came up with ages ago that's quicker. My experiments to get it more like yeast dough/pastry is getting close. I just like how it's quicker & easier to throw together without forethought. Besides, this house is cold in winter for good yeast action.

Maybe try subbing in some Greek yogurt and see if that gets you there.

Use lard.

My crust tonight is
1 C 7 multigrain
2 C Honeyville Unbleached All Purpose
1 C water
1T sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. rounded a little salt
1 rounded tsp. yeast
olive oil

It has been pawnched and is time to do it.

Toppings will be linguisa, onion, and peppers.

dang, everytime I read this thread I get super hungry...well done everybody..I need to post pics nxt time I make homemade...
usually it's on Sunday's with homemade dough and homemade mozzarella.
hoping to weld up a steel "X" and dome that I can set on top of my stone fire pit and get some wood-fired pizza action going on. I've already got a good peel and cast iron pizza stone, so halfway there!

Last edited:
So made some pizza last night and I used this dough recipe. Except I used a kitchen aid mixer and mixed on low for 10 minutes and I used pizza yeast and I used half AP and half bread flour. I kept it in the fridge for about 20 hours, then removed it, shaped it and let it sit in the oven (turned off) with the oven light on for about 3 hours. I then made the pizzas. It seemed like I got the dough pretty flat, but it rose A LOT in the oven. It tasted amazing and I don't mind some dough, but it was a little thick even for me and my gf likes it thinner. Any idea what caused that? The recipe, the yeast, the flour mix? Did I just not get it thin enough when I rolled it out?

So made some pizza last night and I used this dough recipe. Except I used a kitchen aid mixer and mixed on low for 10 minutes and I used pizza yeast and I used half AP and half bread flour. I kept it in the fridge for about 20 hours, then removed it, shaped it and let it sit in the oven (turned off) with the oven light on for about 3 hours. I then made the pizzas. It seemed like I got the dough pretty flat, but it rose A LOT in the oven. It tasted amazing and I don't mind some dough, but it was a little thick even for me and my gf likes it thinner. Any idea what caused that? The recipe, the yeast, the flour mix? Did I just not get it thin enough when I rolled it out?

Cut the dough in half and roll out two thinner pizzas. Once you figure out what thickness you like, you could divide it before the fridge step and freeze half.

If it shrinks on you, let it sit for a few minutes and stretch more.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454935868.165617.jpg
One thin crust and one pan pizza. Red sauce, onions, red peppers, turkey pepperoni, mozzarella. Olives on half of one without pepperoni because I'm trying to stay off/limit meat still.

I tried baking at 520, but the tops got dove too fast. They cooked all the way but not as brown on the bottom. Still, no complaints.

The dough was made on Monday, pizza on Friday.

Cut the dough in half and roll out two thinner pizzas. Once you figure out what thickness you like, you could divide it before the fridge step and freeze half.

If it shrinks on you, let it sit for a few minutes and stretch more.
Thanks. I guess I will just have to try to get it thinner next time.

I was well received to say the least:D
How did you make out with the wings?

I baked them (no thawing) on a cookie sheet at 425 for a little over an hour, then topped with some sweet baby rays buffalo sauce and baked for a couple more minutes. Turned out excellent!

Are you running a gas or electric stove? Would you mind sharing your dough recipe?

Electric, My standard dough recipe is sourdough, So simple, by weight, one part starter, two parts liquid, this time was stout wort, and three parts flour, 50% bread flour, 25%rye,25%White whole wheat, mix and then 2% of the flours weight in salt after 30 minutes or so.
Beat it to death with the kitchenaid and adjusted by feel then a couple of days in the fridge to ferment.:mug:

Edit; forgot a glug of EVOO.

Rolled dough and pizza cut into squares? What happened to this thread????

Easy, pal. It takes all kinds :)

I personally like fluffier crust, but if you want it thin, rolling seems to work better than trying to stretch it.

And if the pizza is in a square or rectangle pan, square cuts make sense.

I aborted my first sourdough starter because of that spot of mold in the first pic. I'm wondering what the more experienced opinions are on the other shot. Does that look healthy? It smelled great and I would have happily continued, but mold freaks me out. Is that a common problem with starters. It sat untouched in the back of my fridge for 3 months. I was going to salvage a cup and a half and refresh.

View attachment 1455496183567.jpg

View attachment 1455496203882.jpg

I aborted my first sourdough starter because of that spot of mold in the first pic. I'm wondering what the more experienced opinions are on the other shot. Does that look healthy? It smelled great and I would have happily continued, but mold freaks me out. Is that a common problem with starters. It sat untouched in the back of my fridge for 3 months. I was going to salvage a cup and a half and refresh.

Mmmm, mold. I grow mold exactly like that to make blue cheese. It's just penicillium roqueforti. So, yea, don't worry about blue/green mold hurting you. Wouldn't it affect the flavor of the pizza? I really doubt it, but it's possible. Might also improve it.

_mg_9084-64190.jpg

_mg_1205-66467.jpg

_mg_9530-64840.jpg

I've had that happen. I would carefully scrape off the surface, dip out some starter and rejuvenate it. It is worth it to me to do that with a good starter. I've seen some folks recommend starting over but I don't see the point in tossing it without trying. All it takes is a little flour, water and a few days.

Mmmm, mold. I grow mold exactly like that to make blue cheese. It's just penicillium roqueforti. So, yea, don't worry about blue/green mold hurting you. Wouldn't it affect the flavor of the pizza? I really doubt it, but it's possible. Might also improve it.

_mg_9084-64190.jpg

_mg_1205-66467.jpg

_mg_9530-64840.jpg

I've had that happen. I would carefully scrape off the surface, dip out some starter and rejuvenate it. It is worth it to me to do that with a good starter. I've seen some folks recommend starting over but I don't see the point in tossing it without trying. All it takes is a little flour, water and a few days.

Thanks for the tips. Felt shame wash over me dumping it. It had become a whole different beast since the first batch of pies. So mold spores can take up residence in the acid of the hooch? I figured it would act kind of like a pellicle does against acetobacter. I know little of how mold behaves. Just that it gives me the heebie- jeebies.

Homebrew Hefeweizen with home-made pizza for dinner. One pizza is halloumi with garlic and tomato and the other is a good old veggie delight. 'Tis a good night indeed.

20160227_174035[1].jpg

Back