2weeks in primary, still has krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
My 1.065 IPA has been in the primary for 2 weeks. The G has dropped to 1.012, but there is still a substantial amount of krausen. Used wyeast 1272 American II. Is this just a ridiculous top cropper? I want to transfer to 2nd to dry hop today, so should I perhaps skim the krausen and get to it? Thanks for your thoughts, and please, no primary vs secondary arguments.

Go ahead and transfer. I use that yeast a lot, and it is a heavy blow off yeast for me, and forms a heavy cap every time. If you have a fridge that you can cold crash the fermenter in for a couple days before transferring it would be best but you'll be fine to transfer now.

i use this yeast a lot for apa's. The krausen always drops around 3 weeks for me. I ferment in the summer around 65-68 degrees too. Its also a very thick looking krausen.

Yep, I love this yeast but it is messy. Giant krausen, sometimes falls, sometimes doesn't. You can just rack underneath it. Anything that gets transferred over will drop out in the secondary.

Back