Wheat from my friend's family farm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
My friend offered me some wheat from his family farm, and he was wondering if I could turn it into beer. From a brief search it seems that some wheat in wheat beers is malted and some is not, I am assuming this stuff has to be unmalted. Would I be able to make a beer with the stuff he has? Are there any questions I should ask him about the wheat before taking him up on his offer?

my brother works in a feed store. We used some of the unmalted red (winter) wheat in our wit beer. My recipe called for 3/4 lbs of unmalted wheat. I have no complaints, it worked great. Some folks get a little bunched up about genetically modified grains. Check on that if it matters to you. Also I did a protein rest at 120 for 20 min and a scarification rest at 152. Keep a eye on your mash PH as the protein rest will drop it.

I was thinking of trying all wheat or a 50/50 mix with a base malt, I thought I read that is what a belgian white is. Or am I wrong about that? Would that not work?

Back