Blueberry Blonde recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my brew partner and I have made a blonde ale and currently have it in its first fermentation. We would like to make it a blueberry style blonde and are seeking advice. We know that the blueberry gets added to the carboy for secondary fermentation. Reading different recipes we are puzzled as to what to do. People say puree frozen blueberries, boil em, add jam, etc. For those that have done something of the sorts in the past what do you find the best way to go about adding fruit flavoring? Do you add it to the carboy before syphoning? And how much do you use for a 5 gallon batch?

Any help is welcomed and appreciated

Thanks

AHB

Personally not a big fan of blueberry beers, but it's your decision. For all my fruit beers I have always used frozen fruits. How much you add is somewhat dependent on the recipe. I tend to go big, even with light ales, so anything in the range of 40-60 oz if you want a strong blueberry character in the beer. You could easily go 25 oz to play it safe. I have tried adding in flame-out and/or late in primary, but was unsatisfied with the results. Racking the beer onto berries in the secondary and leaving it for about 7 days before bottling is my preferred method. Because I'm a contamination nut, before adding I heat them at 160F for 10 minutes with a couple cups of water, crushing them in their liquid. Many will argue that this step is unnecessary and strips the fruit of flavor. You are welcome to skip this and crush the frozen (or not frozen) berries and just add them. I've used the previous method with several different fruits and have had no issues, aside from a slightly hazed beer from tannins. On a final note, experiment. You may find other methods to be better.

Personally not a big fan of blueberry beers, but it's your decision. For all my fruit beers I have always used frozen fruits. How much you add is somewhat dependent on the recipe. I tend to go big, even with light ales, so anything in the range of 40-60 oz if you want a strong blueberry character in the beer. You could easily go 25 oz to play it safe. I have tried adding in flame-out and/or late in primary, but was unsatisfied with the results. Racking the beer onto berries in the secondary and leaving it for about 7 days before bottling is my preferred method. Because I'm a contamination nut, before adding I heat them at 160F for 10 minutes with a couple cups of water, crushing them in their liquid. Many will argue that this step is unnecessary and strips the fruit of flavor. You are welcome to skip this and crush the frozen (or not frozen) berries and just add them. I've used the previous method with several different fruits and have had no issues, aside from a slightly hazed beer from tannins. On a final note, experiment. You may find other methods to be better.

I really can't add much here because my preferred method also is using frozen fruit. I have done raspberries and currently strawberries and am planning a blackberry porter. I have also heard you can used the berries as is but I always sanitize with a 1/2 cup of vodka just to coat the surfaces. Then I strain off the liquid and shove them into the carboy. I rack from the bucket onto the berries during the 3rd week of fermentation and let sit a week as you will see a slight fermentation for a few days. I have always used 3-4 lbs. to just get a decent flavor, nothing overpowering.
The blond ale I currently have on 3lbs of strawberries and I am going to bottle tomorrow or Saturday.
Good Luck.

Legin & Wolverine;

Thank you for the suggestions. My ale goes into secondary fermentation on Sunday (glass carboy). I would like to use fresh fruit but way to expensive; didn't realize I would need so many lbs. of fruit. I was told to use a blueberry jam but not sure how it will turn out (too much sugar maybe?).

AHB

"give a man a beer let him drink for a day. teach a man to brew let him drink for life"

Legin & Wolverine;

Thank you for the suggestions. My ale goes into secondary fermentation on Sunday (glass carboy). I would like to use fresh fruit but way to expensive; didn't realize I would need so many lbs. of fruit. I was told to use a blueberry jam but not sure how it will turn out (too much sugar maybe?).

AHB

I have never heard of using jam. I think there is too much sugar.
Fruit can be expensive but I think you would like the outcome. A 3lb. bag of blueberries at Costco is $9. That's the best I've seen around here. I would just do it.

@ Wolverine - I'll have to take a look.

@ Kgraber - i have seen cans of that at my local brew store. A bit to expensive at $19 bucks a can.

It is pricey but it's already steril and can be pitched right into the secondary. One can should impart a mild blueberry flavor.

Personally, I've never had an issue with using flavorings. Much less to clean up and more times than not, less expensive. I don't have anything against using real fruit, but I've found that flavorings work pretty much just as good and are easier in the long run. If it makes you feel better, go with the flavoring then add a couple blueberries when you drink it.

Back