Which stout and pale ale to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
So here's the deal. My parents want me to brew some beer for my sister's wedding this summer. Neither she nor her fiance drink anything that good, mostly coors and sam adams. I figure a good APA or amber would be good. I want it to be something good since I'll be drinking it too. I'd prefer doing one I can't really get around here so I'm thinking one of these: New Belgium's Fat Tire Amber, Full Sail Amber, 3Floyds Alpha King, or Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Now here's the kicker. My dad also wants me to make him some black and tan for his birthday, so I'm also looking for a good Stout too. Since I have no idea how this blend will turn out (and only have one chance since I need it ready for April) I only plan on blending 1 gallon of the BandT and leave the rest separate. These are some of the stouts I'm considering: North Coast's Old Rasputin RIS, Deschutes Obsidian stout, Founder's Breakfast stout, Yeti Imperial stout, or Rogue Shakespeare stout.

I've listed all these ones because they are ones I have recipes for already. Anyone have a suggestion on which set to do or another combo?

I wouldn't brew something foreign to the guests of the wedding, in the event it's not their cup of tea. You might be better off doing a blonde ale, an amber, or maybe a brown ale.

As far as your dad goes, it depends on his tastes and what he considers to be a "good" black and tan. If his idea is strictly guiness and harp (or bass, depending on who is making it) then you'll probably want to make something very similar to those. He may not be down for an RIS or oatmeal stout in his B&T.

Fat Tire would be an excellent choice because I have seen so many BMC drinkers turned on to it. I remember when Fat Tire came out here to NC. I found a 22 on my b-day. It was delicious. And it seems that it has been doing very, very well. It's light with a lot of flavor. I hear a lot of busch light, BMC, and Sam Adams lovers who dont stray anywhere near craft beers just rave about Fat Tire

extract or allgrain?

if i were doing it for a wedding, i would probably pick edworts haus pale ale or BMs centenial blonde and a simple guiness recipe(something like 70% 2row, 20%flaked barley, 10% roasted barley)

I'm honestly not sure if he even likes Guinness, but the 2 bottled black and tans that he likes are Mississippi mud (mix of continental pilsner and english porter) and Berkshire Brewing's Shabadoo (mix of pale ale and porter). Unfortunately I just bottled a porter last month that would have been good for this, but I don't want to make the same thing again and he's too lazy to blend them himself.

I'd be doing partial.

Back