Redshift India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safeale 05
Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 62 f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
To be posted
Just brewed this as a stronger version of Jamil's "West Coast Blaster" from BYO. I did not use any victory malt, as Jamil's recipe calls for, and I subbed the hops I had. I have had great results with Simcoe and Amarillo combined, and I added one of my favorites; Ahtanum. Late hops are the primary feature here, adding that lovely flavor and aroma we worship here in the Northwest.

The corn sugar lightens the beer and makes it closer to an Imperial IPA, which I love (Pliny-ish). The Red color on this is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to try it.

Also, this is my first beer with dry yeast- pitched 2 packets of US 05. Bubbling away in my very cool 60 f basement. Should make for a very clean, crisp beer.

8.5 lb 2-Row Pale Ale Brewers Malt 3 L
2.0 lb Munich Malt 8 L
0.375 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
0.375 lb Caramel Malt 60L
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 120°L
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt Bairds 350 L
1.0 lb Corn Sugar
0.5 oz Ahtanum (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 90 min
1 oz Simcoe (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Ahtanum (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (12.9%) - steeped after boil
.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - steeped after boil
1 oz Ahtanum (5.5%) - steeped after boil

I've been trying to put together an IPR recipe. This sounds really good. Have you been able to try it yet? Curious to hear about it.

This one is better. The Redshift was good, just not very balanced-the alcohol was too much for me. I think the corn sugar may have been over the top. Try the link, it is so damned good!

Tim

Latest posts

Back