Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta remember the witch hazel tomorrow. I started using it on my Hydro shaves after reading about it here, but it isn't muscle memory yet.

Less blood today. Only about 18 hours between shaves, but I wanted to get onto a morning schedule and see what a 24-hour growth is like tomorrow morning.

Anybody using the barber shop sanitizer stuff to soak their razors between shaves.

Never have, I just rinse mine, dismantle and dry it, reasssemble and put it on the shelf with the army of other razors.

I would worry about the finish on the razor being submerged in barbasol all the time.

Brush care is a worry for me, since I dont have a stand for it I rinse well, shake the water out of it, and dry it on a towel, much like I were stropping it, it gets it fairly dry and has that nice "puff" look to it, and it goes on my counter and never in a cabinet so it doesnt get funky.

Any brush care tips out there?

I find the first shave with a new blade is sorta rough, then the next ones are much smoother.

It's like the first shave knocks the burrs off the blade, so the second shave starts with a broken in blade maybe??

Any one else notice that here?

i notice it with certain blades, like derby for instance. others, not so much.

you asked about brush care tips, i think what you're doing is fine. i have a stand for one of my brushes, but not the other. i just try to force as much water out of them as possible when i'm done, i've been doing this for about 6 years without any problems so far...

I went hunting today. While there were several opportunities I didn't make any kills.

image-2631060003.jpg

image-1065763178.jpg

image-2620385529.jpg

android said:
damn, does that one say $75?? looks nice and all, but man, that's pricey.

Yeah. $75. I think I could make out some numbers on the handle. I am thinking that makes it a pre 1929 Gillette Tech. You can't really tell but it's in a really nice original case.

I've seen some ridiculous prices on eBay lately. I watched a D4 Fatboy, really nice one, jump from about $50 with 3 minutes left to almost $97 at the close.

I wouldn't know where to begin to look locally.

Yeah. $75. I think I could make out some numbers on the handle. I am thinking that makes it a pre 1929 Gillette Tech. You can't really tell but it's in a really nice original case.

That looks to be a Gillette NEW, open comb, gold plated, I have one of those in nickle, good shaver, but finicky, it was designed to use stiffer blades so many need to shim the blade to get it to shave well, I find mine to be a stellar performer without shimming, but you need to be on your game.

Are there good prices on straights? I might have you pick one up for me if the price is right and it is in servicable condition. PM me with some details if they arent asking a fortune.

Yeah, the prices on razors, including shipping to Canada, are easily $30... many of them tarnished to hell.

So I may have to go with a superspeed or slim adjustable instead of a tech... is that alright for beginners?

I have my eye on a bunch of razors though. I don't really like the gold-plated ones because you can't really make it gold again once it's worn off. Among others, there's a lovely looking copper razor I'd love to get my hands on.

I'm thinking of getting one for my dad too, but I want to nail the vintage if I do. So if anybody comes across a decently-priced A-1 (first quarter 1955), would you mind letting me know?

Also, I'm buying a dremel tool today, and I'm wondering if I can use it to really restore and polish a dull-looking razor to gleaming and like-new. Anybody do this? I'm guessing the trickiest part is the knurled handles, but I really have no idea.

Get some MAAS and some barbicide (I use the generic stuff). MAAS does wonders for old metal and with a dremel for light grinding and buffing you can really do wonders on an old blade. The barbicide is self explanitory... no telling where those things have been.

I was thinking of using phosphoric acid instead of Barbicide... is that not adequate?

My first few shaves have been with a '53 Super Speed. I got home to a package with my '38 fat-handled Tech yesterday and I intend to shave with that tonight or tomorrow. '67 Slim Adjustable should be here this week. I'll give that a try as well at some point.

Also, I'm buying a dremel tool today, and I'm wondering if I can use it to really restore and polish a dull-looking razor to gleaming and like-new. Anybody do this? I'm guessing the trickiest part is the knurled handles, but I really have no idea.

as long as it's only dull looking and not heavily tarnished/pitted, etc, the dremel will do a pretty good job.

this is a great tutorial thread about using dremels to clean up old straights.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/167095-Easy-Razor-Polishing-Tutorial

you can just swab the razor in alcohol before you start, that should take care of any nasties on it, plus i feel like the polishing process would kill off anything with all those compounds/chemicals you are putting on the blade. i personally have never used any *-cide on any of my old restores.

I need to pickup a user grade gillette for a co-worker whom seems interested. Anybody got any laying around? I gave away my last 2 to other co-workers who are now hooked.

Billy

Doh. I just bought a travel razor. It looks immaculate though, and I picked it up cheap, so it's not a big deal.

What happened is that I checked out a bunch of Gillette razors that I liked, and if it allowed me to make an offer, I threw in a real lowball. This one apparently stuck :D

android said:
as long as it's only dull looking and not heavily tarnished/pitted, etc, the dremel will do a pretty good job.

this is a great tutorial thread about using dremels to clean up old straights.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/167095-Easy-Razor-Polishing-Tutorial

you can just swab the razor in alcohol before you start, that should take care of any nasties on it, plus i feel like the polishing process would kill off anything with all those compounds/chemicals you are putting on the blade. i personally have never used any *-cide on any of my old restores.

Thanks for the link!

As much as I dig this thread, I can't even consider shaving any other way than in the shower. So convenient.

On the other hand, if I happen across one of those fat boys, I know I will not be able to resist the urge. I hope it's at least after I've gotten the desire to make cheese out of my system.

Cheers guys. One day I'll join the club.

passedpawn said:
As much as I dig this thread, I can't even consider shaving any other way than in the shower. So convenient.

On the other hand, if I happen across one of those fat boys, I know I will not be able to resist the urge. I hope it's at least after I've gotten the desire to make cheese out of my system.

Cheers guys. One day I'll join the club.

I shave my head in the shower. It's the only way if someone else isn't doing it for you. (I don't know about you guys but there is no way I could afford to visit a master barber 3+ times a week.) My face, I just don't shave it.

No reason you can't shave in the shower they have fog free mirrors and there are many people who shave without using a mirror at all. I prefer my feet firmly planted on the rug and staring into the mirror though when I shave. :)

I have a shaving soap I'd like to try, but the consistency is really firm. How do you get it into the brush to build lather?

Use shaving soap for slickness, and cream for cushioning. I use soap for straights and cream for DE safety razors. But to answer your question, just fill the container your puck is in with warm water while you shower, drain the water off the puck, load your brush up and face lather. Let the scruff on your face build that lather up. That's what I do. You could also load your brush and lather in a bowl while adding a few drops of water as you go to get your desired consistency.

Billy

TomSD said:
No reason you can't shave in the shower they have fog free mirrors and there are many people who shave without using a mirror at all. I prefer my feet firmly planted on the rug and staring into the mirror though when I shave. :)

I use a mirror to miss my ears and eyebrows. After I get 1 or 2 passes above my ears I put the mirror down and go by feel.
Huskysibe said:
Use shaving soap for slickness, and cream for cushioning. I use soap for straights and cream for DE safety razors. But to answer your question, just fill the container your puck is in with warm water while you shower, drain the water off the puck, load your brush up and face lather. Let the scruff on your face build that lather up. That's what I do. You could also load your brush and lather in a bowl while adding a few drops of water as you go to get your desired consistency.

Billy

I can load the brush by simply soaking the brush, shaking the extra water out, and start working the puck.

jeepinjeepin said:
I shave my head in the shower. It's the only way if someone else isn't doing it for you. (I don't know about you guys but there is no way I could afford to visit a master barber 3+ times a week.) My face, I just don't shave it.

Once a week satisfies the Corps for my head. Cant help but love and want to fall asleep when she's lathering hot shaving cream on my head and neck for the shave.

So the puck just stays in the mug/bowl and when you're done, rinse the lather off the puck and inside of the mug? Interesting...maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Me too.

I find I don't spend that much more time shaving than I used to now that I have a good system down. I don't shave all that often - I let a scruff build up then I'll hit-er hard all at once.

I'll trim with something like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ace...964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b64ad41c and then go at it with a fatboy. I do like the experience more than with a disposable - but I still don't like shaving!

Lots less ingrown hairs since I started using a double edge - that alone was well worth the money spent.

jtkratzer said:
I have a shaving soap I'd like to try, but the consistency is really firm. How do you get it into the brush to build lather?

Have you tried topping it with hot water for a few minutes? It will soften the soap a bit (pour the water off before using).

(I now see this answer was given above.)

I have yet to decide which setting is more aggressive on my Futur. 1 or 6. They both feel the same. Despite trying different blades.

I need to figure out how to tell if the mechanism is broken. But the adjustment is so subtle I am not sure how.

Have been alternating between my Merkur classic barber handle and my Parker butterfly. Haven't decided yet if I like one over the other.

Today was my first shave before heading off to work for the day and I tried the 38 Tech and a new blade from the PX. They look like CVS blades, but are platinum chrome instead of stainless steel. I left a couple minutes late but that wasn't because of the shave. I'm still working on the razor angle as I'm getting more nicks than I'd like and quite a bit razor burn. The shaves are giving me a really smooth face, just need to work on the bit of discomfort.

I really enjoyed the process this morning, I'm more awake and refreshed to start the day and my 1.5 hour drive to work. It's nice to get the brain going a little earlier in the morning.

I have yet to decide which setting is more aggressive on my Futur. 1 or 6. They both feel the same. Despite trying different blades.

I need to figure out how to tell if the mechanism is broken. But the adjustment is so subtle I am not sure how.

Have been alternating between my Merkur classic barber handle and my Parker butterfly. Haven't decided yet if I like one over the other.

6 is supposed to be the more aggressive setting, I have that razor and use it on 4.

Billy

I really enjoyed the process this morning, I'm more awake and refreshed to start the day and my 1.5 hour drive to work. It's nice to get the brain going a little earlier in the morning.

Yeah that is what I meant earlier in the thread when I compared shaving with cartridges vs a safety or straight. It is utilitarian vs meditative/relaxing. I feel great after a straight shave.

A nice hot shower while the brush soaks in a mug of very hot water. The end of the shower I spend some time washing my face and massaging it a bit. Get out and start the sink filling while I dry off then pull the now hot brush out, lather up in the puck mug and work it onto my face and work my way around with a straight razor. I am still learning the nooks and crannies but it never fails that I come away refreshed and invigorated instead of hurried and still groggy... and it doesn't take all that much longer to do.

That's pretty much how things went this morning, but between my lack of experience with the blade and maybe some windburn from being outside with the wood splitter all day yesterday, my face is jacked up right now. It's tender to the touch and there's some redness. I think I'll try a shave oil or something in addition to just the Proraso. I used a bit of shave soap with it, but not enough I guess.

I saw a mix of baby oil and olive oil as a pre-shave oil.

Back