No activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Yesterday I put on a quick cider (pretty much apfelwein,) attached brew belt, left it. I'm using Montrachet and Organic Apple Juice, checked for preservatives/chemicals etc and there's nothing. I have no activity whatsoever, which is strange.

There are 3 possible causes, I think...

1) Steralised the demi-john heavily for a few hours as there was some residue left from a 20-year-old Kaluha attempt by my parents...rather than wash out and re-steralize after, I just added the ingredients.

2) Apple juice was simmering very slightly and may have been too hot when I added yeast

3) I'm being impatient.

Any ideas, and how can I get around this? Cheers.

I didn't record temp, it was just heated slightly so I could add glucose to get the OG i wanted, but didn't boil it. I wouldn't post about this, but I've done plenty of similar brews using the same equipment, same room etc and they've started overnight :)

My apfelwein took a couple days to take off. I got no activity out of my airlock either at any point it time, just indicated by the bubbles floating to the top of the liquid. Wait until you get home and the rhino farts are present. Then you know its definately working.

Give it time. Apple juice takes a while to start fermenting because it has fewer nutrients that the yeast need than wort. As a result they struggle a little to take off. Definitely wait out 72 hours before being concerned.

Yeah, I'll wait regardless as tearing it all out and trying again after some 16 hours is pointless. I did add nutrient as well however, forgot to mention that :)
I'll give it a few days. Cheers!

I've added a little extra yeast and after less than 12 hours it's bubbling away :) my guess is the warm liquid killed the yeast off as fermentation's been rapid since then.

Back